• October 30, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:07:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving from chair to another chair  (Read 18503 times)
oatmeal

« on: October 25, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »

Hello forumites: A colleague of mine, and a fellow chair asked for some advice but I am at a loss here. Basically my colleague is in the first year of a chair position and doing very well and likes the institution--it is a good fit. But, a dream job as chair of department at another institution has come up this year and the question is should hu apply, even though hu has just started in their new position. And, it is a dream job in terms of location and specific job. Hu is torn and I can understand why. My immediate response was that it is too early to apply elsewhere, even though it would be a a single application, and not a blanket application to many similar jobs. Any thoughts?
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 2:41:54 PM »

I'd say AFTDJ for any "dream job," don't consider how long you've been in place, don't guilt yourself out of some misguided loyalty, and don't think you'd be indispensable (if you left).

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 8:51:52 PM »

Why isn't your friend posting the question?

I don't do third party posts. Or second. Or whatever.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
oatmeal

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 2:26:04 PM »

Why isn't your friend posting the question?

I don't do third party posts. Or second. Or whatever.

I do not know; my colleague asked me the question and I was interested in what others thought. You are welcome to ignore the questions. Thank you.
oatmeal

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 2:27:00 PM »

I'd say AFTDJ for any "dream job," don't consider how long you've been in place, don't guilt yourself out of some misguided loyalty, and don't think you'd be indispensable (if you left).

Good points. I thought the same thing, only that in the first year, it can look "bad." But good points.
hegemony

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 3:08:54 PM »

Probably some people would grumble if he left, and maybe that would be understandable, but I don't think a few grumblers should stand in the way of a dream job.  They'd probably apply for the dream job too.  He should AFTDJ.  Good luck to him!

Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight.
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 3:22:04 PM »

He should AFTDJ. Odds are he won't get it anyway, but then he will have no regrets.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: