• February 7, 2016

Chronicle Forums

February 07, 2016, 1:58:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 01:53:17 am 
Started by pollinate - Last post by vhagar
ringworm

on: Today at 01:52:05 am 
Started by see_wolf - Last post by vhagar
Montgomery, Alabama

on: Today at 01:48:27 am 
Started by see_wolf - Last post by vhagar
black belt

on: Today at 01:47:19 am 
Started by fiona - Last post by mountainguy
To be clear, I meant my original "water is wet" comment to mean that I was unsurprised by the findings. It was not meant to be a commentary on whether or not the study was worthwhile (if anything, I'm glad to see LGBTQ issues I getting more attention).

on: Today at 01:30:29 am 
Started by msta4141 - Last post by msta4141
Hello, All:

I'm a community college instructor who fell on some hard times after having to leave a position to care for an ill loved one.  I started teaching courses with the University as an associate faculty member and now teach three courses in two areas of the University. 

After a couple of years mixing UOP with some other work, I was able to find some employment teaching both on the ground classes and online at traditional institutions, but stayed on because the money is helpful during summers and holidays, mainly. For both positions I did pick up (one that requires heavy online teaching for a traditional university), I promoted my UOP time as helpful to my online teaching. 

After five years teaching courses with UOP, I'm planning to cut ties.

I may be on the job search again soon, looking for something in the humanities or the social sciences (I don't want to be specific, but I am an interdisciplinary person with degrees in two areas) in the next year or so. 

I will either be looking for a position in a traditional teaching or community college that values some/occasional online teaching or moving on entirely to teach English for Academic Purposes either here in the U.S.  or in Latin America or South Asia (in which case I'd consider both Universities and Professional Companies).

University of Phoenix's reputation bothers me.  I try to do the best I can by my students, but I worry about my CV. 

Although I'd have to explain the two year space on my resume (well, at least I was doing some consulting and community board work during that time), I am thinking of taking my time at University of Phoenix of my resume entirely. 

Any advice in this area? Should I remove University of Phoenix for CVs I send out to colleges/universities?

Thanks very much for your time.
Pauline

on: Today at 01:17:50 am 
Started by fiona - Last post by totoro
I just discovered that someone in my department (a grad student) has a same sex partner. This person previously told me that they had an opposite sex partner "my girlfriend is really into Christmas" or something like that. So, this can be pretty confusing.

on: Today at 01:15:00 am 
Started by archman - Last post by hegemony
It sounds as if the criterion on his radar is "high student enrollments, college makes money, success is achieved."  So I wonder if there is some way to induce him to see that this actually causes problems for the college down the line.  Or maybe it doesn't?  What about the accreditation process?  Number of students who get jobs or enroll in 4-year colleges?  Number of students who manage to graduate from 4-year colleges?  In other words, what deleterious effect can you prove, with metrics?  That's the angle, since merely talking it over with him isn't working.  Probably he was hired to put students in seats, and he sees it's happening, and what you think he should be doing is irrelevant to him.

on: Today at 01:08:16 am 
Started by trev4519 - Last post by sabb2678
Thanks for your replies, but I may have not made it clear enough what my situation is.

They brought me on as a VAP because a full-time candidate changed his mind at the last minute, and it was easier to hire me on that basis than go through the full process. I just found I'm going to interview with my colleagues next week and hopefully will have my answer soon.

I've been treated very well and we've been talking from early on that I could come on board full-time. It's a tiny department, so I thought this process of posting the job nominally and then making me an offer would be quicker. Considering the large software grant I won for the school, I thought they'd hoist me on their shoulders and we'd have a parade!

Yeah I don't think it changes anything all that much. I don't think it would be wrong to clarify to the people writing your letters that you are quite happy there and hoping for good news on making your position permanent, but want to make sure that if things don't work out, you have other options. Your colleagues should certainly understand that. If anything, the knowledge that you are applying elsewhere might help your case.

As far as your teaching goes, the question of how much time to devote to it is something many of us struggle with. I would say you should keep teaching to the best of your abilities because it is the right thing to do. That said, you should feel free to make marginal decisions that prioritize your job search and career. I don't think it would be right to just do the bare minimum for the rest of the Spring Semester if you don't get a permanent position. However, if you have a bunch of applications to send off one week or a big grant due, you can use some canned stuff that week.

on: Today at 01:07:13 am 
Started by rogerwilco - Last post by johnr
Collaboration is the key.

I don't know about you, but I will let myself down ten ways to Sunday. However, I will do my damndest to get those proposals out the door if someone else is relying on me to get my sh!t done.

That's brilliantly written and very true.

OP, although I have had a few NSF grants, I've made a good career out of getting grants from other agencies, state and federal.  Maybe they are not as big as an NSF career grant or an NIH grant, but they are often the perfect amount of $$ for supporting a grad student.  NOAA, USGS, EPA, Sea Grant, TNC, plus many state agencies.  For many of these you're dealing with pass through funds, to your state or region specifically, and the odds of getting one are not astronomical. 

on: Today at 12:59:17 am 
Started by fiona - Last post by southerntransplant
To follow up on Ryan Hoffman's story:

Link.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10