• July 30, 2016

Chronicle Forums

July 30, 2016, 8:33:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 08:25:30 pm 
Started by kaysixteen - Last post by overthejordan
Wait a minute. Jill Stein is a physician and has stated that vaccinations are important and have wiped out horrible diseases. She clearly sees the value of vaccinations.  She only said that new vaccines should be approved by an appropriate regulatory board and that some people distrust the FDA. That's it. She never said she was categorically against vaccinations.

Now, I'm not saying anyone should necessarily vote for Stein. I'm just saying that the rumor that she's an anti-vaxxer is false.

on: Today at 08:19:29 pm 
Started by overthejordan - Last post by overthejordan
Congrats, Bonehead! Your other posts about the delays had me worried. I would have been freaking out if I were in that position. Actually, my contract arrived later than promised, and that freaked me out. But it was nowhere near like your situation. It arrived way before I had to plan the move.

Puget, emotionally, the move was no problem for me. I was only in Old City for one year, and I was happy to move to New City. Logistically, it was a mess, but it worked out in the end. I'm here, and my family is here. And New City really is very cool.

Marlo, your move actually sounds fairly easy to me. The turnaround is insanely quick, but it sounds as though you don't have to worry about moving a bunch of stuff or trying to find an apartment in a tight market. I had plenty of time to plan my move, but it still turned out to be logistically crazy, because I had to move my family, because we owned so much stuff, and because we almost couldn't find an apartment here in New City.

on: Today at 08:16:25 pm 
Started by zuzu_ - Last post by zuzu_
My solution was to replace hooks and posts with hypoallergenic ones. http://www.simplywhispers.com/ is the site I used to use. Glasses and sunglasses can also be difficult, but at least one can find plastic frames.

Thank you for that website. I hadn't been successful with Googling.

For my birthday, my mother bought me an assortment of metal chains from that website . I've been wearing them for months with no problems at all. And they weren't very expensive at all. Thanks again for the recommendation.

on: Today at 08:12:41 pm 
Started by zuzu_ - Last post by zuzu_
My PCP told me to take a probiotic because I'm on a long term PPI, which increases my chances of c. diff and whatnot. Also, I think she thinks it might help my GERD.

So I did my research, and I see there's pretty good evidence that certain strains reduce stomach issues when you're on antibiotics, but more research is needed on pretty much everything else. But again, because they seem promising and not risky, I can see why my PCP recommended them. 

But I can't figure out which ones to buy, and I can't shake the feeling that I'm just throwing my CASH in the TRASH. I've been taking one that is top rated on Amazon, but I don't see any noticeable symptom relief.

Alas, I'm not a big fan of yogurt. It's OK, but I don't want to eat that every day.

Suggestions? Recommendations? Which probiotics are most likely to be effective in doing what they do? And where/how can I get them inexpensively?

on: Today at 08:08:45 pm 
Started by kaysixteen - Last post by cmeagher7
Jill Stein is also an anti-vaxxer, which IMHO defies all common sense.

on: Today at 08:01:56 pm 
Started by fiona - Last post by prof_twocents
Pure mathematics research is (possibly even by definition!) very far from being directly relevant to any questions or problems society faces; many people can't describe their research in any meaningful way even to a first-year grad student.

Mathematicians don't really give a sh*t about this state of affairs.

Why the difference?

My guess is that the social sciences and humanities have had from day one a core mission of not only studying human society, but also directly influencing human society in turn.

on: Today at 07:39:15 pm 
Started by kaysixteen - Last post by fiona
I suppose it goes back to the truism that the plural of anecdote is not data. In general, I view voting as a freely chosen act. No one should feel bullied into voting for a general election candidate they don't truly support. If someone wants to make an informed decision to vote for Jill Stein or to not vote at all, I can't stop them. I just wish they would acknowledge that (1) there is a policy difference between Trump and Clinton, and that (2) some Americans would suffer grievous harm under a Trump presidency.

I agree entirely with you, except that I wouldn't call voting for Jill Stein "an informed decision." It's a decision made from privilege and ego ("My conscience! My conscience!") rather than from a generous and compassionate view of what's good for the country.

I don't know why anyone would consider Jill Stein a serious candidate. What has she done?

But beyond that, don't we want what's best for our country, rather than what's best for our individual egos?

I hope so.

The Fiona

on: Today at 07:07:53 pm 
Started by figee - Last post by mountainguy
Q: What's the opening line of Master Yoda's  new children's book?

A: You're more likely to be attacked by a shark or struck by lightening.

on: Today at 07:01:20 pm 
Started by prytania3 - Last post by paddington_bear
Sunday
*more 100 syllabi
*training

Monday
*credit union
*grocery store
*laundry

on: Today at 06:54:14 pm 
Started by aainter - Last post by aainter
Thank you all for very helpful information.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10