Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

<< < (1737/2497) > >>

proftowanda:
Quote from: dr_alcott on April 03, 2013, 10:51:29 AM

Oh, Macattack. Good luck with that one.

Big exam today. It's been on the schedule for eleven weeks. I've gotten two emails this morning from students who can't find babysitters. They've had eleven weeks to take care of this, so I'd really like to file this under "Not My Problem." 

Ugh, the excuses! I got from students who missed an exam last week -- an online exam, available almost all week.  No need to find babysitters, dogsitters, catsitters, plantsitters, whatever.

I have announced that, if they did not figure out the following when they got the schedule more than two months ago:  They are to make arrangements now for the final exam, when there will be no possibility whatsoever for negotiating more time.  Final grades will go in within hours of the exam endtime, period. 

baleful_regards:
While I did not describe a recipe for a chicken caesar salad, I did explicitly say:

"You do not need to write this down. I will not test you on this. I just want you to be familiar with the Erikson stages".

60% continued to write down everything on the slide.

marigolds:
Quote from: baleful_regards on April 03, 2013,  5:48:10 PM

While I did not describe a recipe for a chicken caesar salad, I did explicitly say:

"You do not need to write this down. I will not test you on this. I just want you to be familiar with the Erikson stages".

Chicken Caesar salads are typically thought o be part of the autonomy vs. shame and doubt stage, right?

mystictechgal:
Quote from: baleful_regards on April 03, 2013,  5:48:10 PM

*sigh* I regularly take notes on things like this, along with an asterisk and notation of "do not need to know/memorize*. I shouldn't?

It explains the slide and puts it into context with the others. If it has no place at all in the course of the overall explanation it shouldn't be there.

thrillcheese:
Quote from: macattack on April 03, 2013, 10:48:54 AM

Would it be wrong if my entire feedback on the paper is simply "Please change majors." Seriously, this one is so bad I can't even begin to describe it.

I once had a journalism professor -- a guy who'd been a hard-bitten newspaperman and then turned to teaching later in life -- write on my article, "Thrillcheese, you are a very good writer. But I think you'd be happier in English." He was right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page