Words Students Don't Know

<< < (165/170) > >>

frogfactory:
Quote from: ergative on January 31, 2013, 12:32:41 PM

Quote from: frogfactory on January 31, 2013,  4:32:08 AM

An historian friend informed me that "modern" means "since 1820".  An art history friend explained that "postmodern"
originally mainly referred to the blauhaus school of architecture, and got co-opted for other things because it was trendy.  I am less sure of the veracity of the latter definition.

Well, my sister uses "post-modern" to mean "anything kind of quirky and/or self-referential," so it's certainly true that it can be applied to things other than Bauhaus architecture. (Whether she's using it accurately is another question.)

I think this is where post-modern gets confused with dada-ist.

infopri:
Yesterday's word that students don't know:

Inadvertently.

When I defined it for them, though, they seemed all too familiar with the concept.  I anticipate a lot of "I inadvertently deleted my homework from my hard drive" excuses this semester.

onthefringe:
Quote from: cgfunmathguy on January 29, 2013,  8:37:34 PM

Quote from: mystictechgal on January 29, 2013,  8:34:31 PM

Cosmopolitan

As in, a cosmopolitan organism.

When I defined it in class I heard one of the students behind me mumble something about maybe having remembered hearing it somewhere as the name of a drink.

They didn't mention the magazine?????

I'm sure it's because of the magazine that I originally read that phrase as cosmopolitan orgasm, and wondered what courses mystichtechgal is taking now.

seniorscholar:

An historian friend informed me that "modern" means "since 1820".  An art history friend explained that "postmodern"
originally mainly referred to the blauhaus school of architecture, and got co-opted for other things because it was trendy.  I am less sure of the veracity of the latter definition.

No, "modern" means "since the fall of Constantinople," as in the distinction between Ancient History and Modern History.

scienceprof:
Quote from: seniorscholar on January 31, 2013,  4:09:15 PM

No, "modern" means "since the fall of Constantinople," as in the distinction between Ancient History and Modern History.

No, "modern" means "after 1905" as in the distinction between Modern Physics and Classical Physics.

Can we post abbreviations as well as words?  Mine are having trouble with i.e., e.g., and the three dots in a triangle that mean therefore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page