• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 7:54:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: We've Got The Dumbest (Yet Most Spoiled) Students Ever  (Read 71932 times)
missionaryman

« on: March 29, 2011, 9:06:03 PM »

There is absolutely no doubt about it. Despite incredibly high average GPA's at most institutions, I am increasingly convinced that we are tending to the dumbest group of young people in recent history. I saw a recent study which suggests that autism rates are up a stunning 59% in just 4 years.

Well over half of my students can't write an intelligible sentence, much less an essay.

What's disturbing about this is that while a majority of the students at our college are not literate, my colleagues insist upon catering to their every whim. These students eat, drink, swear, and essentially do whatever they want in classrooms, from what I can see. They are endlessly insulting my colleagues just out of range, to add insult to injury.

What's even more stupid is that my colleagues insist upon treating them as "scholars!" They can't write, they can barely add and subtract, are belligerent when corrected, and yet, they are given the privileges and status of any faculty colleague in the bare cupboards my colleagues call their minds.

WTF is this sh#t? Why do faculty allow this to happen? Don't they understand how dumbed down this piece of crap institution is and how they have created a situation in which the inmates run the asylum?

I hate my monkey colleagues for the mess that they've created. I can't clean up this huge dung pile that they mistakenly call a "college."
larryc
Troll Proof
Distinguished Senior Member

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 9:17:33 PM »

My students are smarter than ever, and their hair smells terrific.

Of course I would never be such a fool as to draw any universal truths from my individual experience.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
lottie

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 9:18:27 PM »

Students are to be seen and not sniffed!
missionaryman

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 9:20:40 PM »

Yet you're stupid enough to waste your time posting 15,000 times on the internet.

Nor can you explain away the fact that rates of autism have skyrocketed recently.

Of course I would never be such a fool as to draw any universal truths from my individual experience.
lottie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 9:22:49 PM »

If you seriously think that forumites are going to join you in mocking stoopid Autistic kids, you're wrong.
kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 9:24:44 PM »

Perhaps not, but we can point out that what has probably skyrocketed is the diagnosis of autism.  You are the weakest link.  Goodbye.
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 9:25:20 PM »

I agree that Larry's students' hair really does smell terrific.

Missionaryman keeps yelling at my students to get off of his lawn.

On a serious note and directed at Missionaryman- if you really believe what you wrote and you aren't just trying to stir things up, then quit or start looking for a job at a different college/university. Regardless of responsibility, it isn't working for you where you are now.

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
kirin85

The sea's in my veins, my tradition remains....

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 9:28:59 PM »

I think this should be reposted under Posting while drunk or what ever it is called.
flavorrocks1

Slowest Senior Member since 2009

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 9:30:39 PM »

There is absolutely no doubt about it. Despite incredibly high average GPA's at most institutions, I am increasingly convinced that we are tending to the dumbest group of young people in recent history. I saw a recent study which suggests that autism rates are up a stunning 59% in just 4 years.

Well over half of my students can't write an intelligible sentence, much less an essay.

What's disturbing about this is that while a majority of the students at our college are not literate, my colleagues insist upon catering to their every whim. These students eat, drink, swear, and essentially do whatever they want in classrooms, from what I can see. They are endlessly insulting my colleagues just out of range, to add insult to injury.

What's even more stupid is that my colleagues insist upon treating them as "scholars!" They can't write, they can barely add and subtract, are belligerent when corrected, and yet, they are given the privileges and status of any faculty colleague in the bare cupboards my colleagues call their minds.

WTF is this sh#t? Why do faculty allow this to happen? Don't they understand how dumbed down this piece of crap institution is and how they have created a situation in which the inmates run the asylum?

I hate my monkey colleagues for the mess that they've created. I can't clean up this huge dung pile that they mistakenly call a "college."

If this is what you really believe, find a new job.  You don't belong in the classroom.  And, I won't even go there with the "autism" comment.

"If frogs couldn't hop, I'd be gone with the Schwinn."  Kermit the Frog
missionaryman

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 9:32:01 PM »

Wrong, try doing 2 seconds of research:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/health/u-s-autism-cases-show-59-increase-alarming-133085.html

"...It was a stunning run-up of 59 percent in four years, and the increase could not be explained just by better awareness or an expanded diagnosis..."

Oh, and stop watching so much tv. It seems to be frying your brain.

Perhaps not, but we can point out that what has probably skyrocketed is the diagnosis of autism.  You are the weakest link.  Goodbye.
acrimone
The Red Queen's Court Assassin

I am not a professor at all, despite what I say.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 9:35:11 PM »

I assure you that, somehow, these problems are entirely the fault of the Jews.  Students are getting autism because of the Jews are baking the blood of high-achieving physicists into the reduced price school lunches.

"All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"
missionaryman

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 9:39:43 PM »

Your students must treasure having a faculty member whose eggs are completely scrambled.

I assure you that, somehow, these problems are entirely the fault of the Jews.  Students are getting autism because of the Jews are baking the blood of high-achieving physicists into the reduced price school lunches.
flavorrocks1

Slowest Senior Member since 2009

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 9:46:36 PM »

What don't you get? Quit your dam# job if this is what you you believe.  God help the students with disabilities in your class.  You are a lawsuit waiting to happen.

"If frogs couldn't hop, I'd be gone with the Schwinn."  Kermit the Frog
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 9:49:50 PM »

GEE...!

Taste o' the Sixties
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 10:11:09 PM »

I think this thread is going well. Don't you think this thread is going well?

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: