• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:34:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad2 thread, on request  (Read 71709 times)
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>
Distinguished Senior Member

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2012, 3:48:06 AM »

Clearly, I have much to learn about these apps.
Or you could just buy technology that accommodates the way you work.  It was a design decision on Apple's part to not include an active digitizer in the iPad. - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »

Or you could just buy technology that accommodates the way you work.  It was a design decision on Apple's part to not include an active digitizer in the iPad. - DvF

I already have a tablePC, dear. However, I don't lug it around with me all the time so I'm learning new ways to use my iPad. Learning is good, you know.

Love your neighbor.
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »

I already have a tablePC, dear. However, I don't lug it around with me all the time so I'm learning new ways to use my iPad. Learning is good, you know.
Sure.  But tablets do exist which have active digitizers.

People shouldn't have to adjust the way they work to accommodate deficient technology.  Rather, technology should support the way we work. - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #213 on: January 18, 2012, 2:07:13 PM »

People shouldn't have to adjust the way they work to accommodate deficient technology.  Rather, technology should support the way we work. - DvF

Well, tell that to every single software/hardware designer in the whole world, then. 

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #214 on: January 18, 2012, 2:29:27 PM »

Well, tell that to every single software/hardware designer in the whole world, then. 

I'm sure they all want to develop hardware and apps for me and my specific needs, because we all know it is all about ME!

<cackle>

Love your neighbor.
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

« Reply #215 on: January 18, 2012, 2:34:42 PM »

For the most part software has been pretty accommodating.  Back when I bought my first personal computer (~1980) a large amount of the software was written by people for their own use, and commercial product evolved out of that.  This set the pattern which is followed today. While this is a little less true for hardware (which has its own set of constraints), Apple in particular has normally tried hard to meet the needs of its clientele.  One striking exception is their odd resistance to digitizers.  They are the only major laptop company who have not had a tablet PC in their line, and they didn't incorporate a digitizer into the iPad2 even after it was clear that writing on the iPad was a weakness. - DvF

marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #216 on: January 18, 2012, 2:56:40 PM »

For the most part software has been pretty accommodating.  Back when I bought my first personal computer (~1980) a large amount of the software was written by people for their own use, and commercial product evolved out of that.  This set the pattern which is followed today. While this is a little less true for hardware (which has its own set of constraints), Apple in particular has normally tried hard to meet the needs of its clientele.  One striking exception is their odd resistance to digitizers.  They are the only major laptop company who have not had a tablet PC in their line, and they didn't incorporate a digitizer into the iPad2 even after it was clear that writing on the iPad was a weakness. - DvF

I agree that writing is annoying on the iPad, and it was something I was hoping would be natural.  I guess having a digitizer would interfere with the gestures/touchscreen, is that right? 

On software: I tend to LOVE software that was written by people for their own use (even though it wasn't written with the way *I* work in mind.)  It's usually really coherent and well-made and elegant, and also allows me to inhabit another way of working than my own.  I don't mean forcing myself into an awkward workflow; I mean it encourages me to try things differently, and in a way that I might not have done without the foreign way that the software (or hardware) asks me to operate.  I'm thinking especially here of the way Scrivener invites one to write differently, as opposed to MS Word forcing you to write the (awkward, awful) way they insist you should.

Scrivener has literally changed the way I write, and for the better.  I think a lot of good technology does that, and I think generally Apple has had a knack for producing things that invite you to work the way you didn't know you should or could work, but that is actually pretty great.

I feel like that's murky, but I'm too overcaffeinated to revise it.  I hope you know what I mean.  This is why I love the iPad (and it sounds like Octo feels the same)--it's encouraging me to break out of familiar mental patterns and work patterns, and try new ways of doing things that sometimes end up being more efficient or elegant.

I still wish I didn't have to write in Giant Marker Writing, but everything else is pretty much all I hoped it would be. 

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

« Reply #217 on: January 18, 2012, 3:30:29 PM »

I agree that writing is annoying on the iPad, and it was something I was hoping would be natural.  I guess having a digitizer would interfere with the gestures/touchscreen, is that right? 
No, they can coexist with no problem. - DvF

professor_pat

« Reply #218 on: March 17, 2012, 8:28:05 PM »

Anyone figured out how to stream radio stations on the iPad2? I did a search for this topic on the fora, but the most relevant thread that came up recommended Pandora, and when I looked at Pandora in the app store, it seemed to be an app that chooses music for you based on your tastes rather than streaming real radio stations.

Any apps that'll do this? I mostly listen to our local NPR station, but would like to get classical stations as well.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 8:29:14 PM by professor_pat » Logged

To me, forums are more of a relaxing period in which the poster can allow himself or himself to be lost in a sea of wonder.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #219 on: March 17, 2012, 8:40:11 PM »

Anyone figured out how to stream radio stations on the iPad2? I did a search for this topic on the fora, but the most relevant thread that came up recommended Pandora, and when I looked at Pandora in the app store, it seemed to be an app that chooses music for you based on your tastes rather than streaming real radio stations.

Any apps that'll do this? I mostly listen to our local NPR station, but would like to get classical stations as well.

We use Bose Internet Radio. I think TuneIn Radio probably does the same thing.

Love your neighbor.
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #220 on: March 17, 2012, 8:41:14 PM »

In the app store, search for "public radio." You'll come up with a couple apps that are worth looking at. There's also an app called just "Radio" and one called "rad.io" that might fit your needs (reviews on these are both kind of spotty) and one called TuneIn Radio, which has a free version and a paid version (Pro).

VP

profreader

« Reply #221 on: March 18, 2012, 1:51:51 AM »

In the app store, search for "public radio." You'll come up with a couple apps that are worth looking at. There's also an app called just "Radio" and one called "rad.io" that might fit your needs (reviews on these are both kind of spotty) and one called TuneIn Radio, which has a free version and a paid version (Pro).

VP

I use TuneIn Radio - I especially like being able to browse radio stations by location - you can listen to stations from all over the world. The free version is great - I upgraded to the paid version so that I could record programs for later playback.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #222 on: March 18, 2012, 2:56:14 PM »

I use TuneIn Radio - I especially like being able to browse radio stations by location - you can listen to stations from all over the world. The free version is great - I upgraded to the paid version so that I could record programs for later playback.

Bose works the same way. We use it to listen to German radio all the time.

Love your neighbor.
professor_pat

« Reply #223 on: March 19, 2012, 5:37:17 PM »

Thanks, folks! I'll try these radio apps and report back.

To me, forums are more of a relaxing period in which the poster can allow himself or himself to be lost in a sea of wonder.
eigen

« Reply #224 on: April 01, 2012, 5:33:53 PM »

So, PDF annotators: what do you use?

I've been using GoodReader mostly, because it's easy to sync my entire Dropbox folder of literature, annotate it, and then sync my changes back to Dropbox. I also really like that I can email mule just the highlighted portions of a text and the notes that I wrote to accompany them for quick and easy summaries.

But I've been hearing a lot of good things about PDFexpert and iAnnotate as well. Anyone used more than one of these recently, and have any comparative comments?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
  Print  

Jump to: