• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:58:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: American University of Sharjah  (Read 9669 times)
seeking_alternative

« on: February 01, 2012, 3:34:43 PM »

Anyone willing to share his experience as a faculty member at the American University of Sharjah? Pros and Cons? lifestyle adjustment and working environment?

I have recently applied for a junior faculty position at AUS in the Arts and Sciences. I do however have mixed feelings about it, primarily because the interview was done via Skype (which is great way to save money by the way but lacked the human feel to it that comes with on-site visit). Still waiting to hear from them but nothing so far. Thinking of paying my own ticket to go for a personal visit before accepting an offer but not sure.

Could anyone discuss compensation and benefits package and tenure guidelines, specially when compared to US standards? I saw a few threads on the topic but they do not seem to be up to date.

Any reply would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

nainijora

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 6:05:53 AM »

AUS is a good place to work.
seeking_alternative

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:23:22 PM »

So I heard. It is becoming The premiere academic institution in the region. I wonder how the expats faculty or students adjust to the local customs -- or if it is even a problem. Also, not sure how competitive or attractive the compensation package is ?

tijuanafina

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 3:51:18 PM »

The UAE is so mixed, in terms of its population, that its "local customs" as you say, are what you see in any major metropolitan city in the world (NY, London, Hong Kong, etc.).  It has its local flavor, but for the most part if you are from the "West" you won't be missing anything.  Try to live in Dubai if you can make the commute.
seeking_alternative

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:46:10 PM »

Thanks for the reply - very reassuring indeed.
bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:12:23 AM »

Sharjah is quiet beautiful but, Dubai is certainly more cosmopolitan, in a sense.  We lived there many years ago, in the 1990's, and it was an incredible experience.  Unlike many expats (who make up 90% of the population in the UAE) we chose to live in Abu Dhabi in a non-American section.  Our neighbors were from all over the world and there were a few mowatans (citizens).  The pluses were the sense of world community and the opportunity to interact with Bedu and other groups.  There are, however, downsides that are probably still there:  serious censorship in terms of news from other countries, constant, and I mean, constant clacking of car horns, constant construction, 24/7, heartbreaking poverty in some areas and thousands of cats roaming the streets.  The upsides include; incredible vistas, wonderful people, great food from all over the world, and the opportunity to expand one's horizons.  Many expats live there for decades.  We managed about two years, and then my husband's contract was up.

Read the "Cities of Salt" trilogy by Abdul Rahman Munif, it will help you to understand the history of the gulf. 

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?  Omar Little
bash217

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 4:57:56 AM »

AUS is one of the most-respected universities in the UAE. Sharjah itself is "dry," that is, no-alcohol, but Dubai is just down the road. I think you'll find the compensation package to be really good, and the quality of life is very high; you should ask questions about the work environment, students, research potential, etc. (not to say it is going to be bad--I just don't know).

I'm also more a fan of Abu Dhabi than of Dubai--slightly more "cultural"--but it just depends on your individual values and temperament.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: