• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:36:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About Univ. of Tabuk in Saudi Arabia  (Read 17962 times)
jini0212

« on: March 21, 2012, 11:41:31 PM »

Hi All,

Recently, I got an offer from Univ. of Tabuk, School of Medicine. Would anyone give me some notions whether this offer is good or bad? (I got my Ph.D degree in US and I have two kids.)

Base salary: SAR 14,000/Month
Housing allowance: SAR 2,083/Month
One time furniture allowance: SAR 12,000
Tuition allowance: SAR 6,250/Year/Child

In addition, does anyone can share some information reg. living condition and campus life of univ. of tabuk? it is very hard to find information. Thanks in advance.

best,

bbibbi
jambar0509

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:25:25 PM »

Hi bbi bbi,

I have a little experience about this univ. Recruitment process was really bad. Actually, they just want to hire people with cheap money. I'm not sure whether they can recruit good scholar with this poor offer. They don't have tenure system. So, faculties have to re-contract every year. So, I'd recommend you not to go there. Good luck.

Jambar

spongebob1

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:09:26 PM »

I don't know about this particular university but regarding the offer, I'd say it might be a bit on the low side.  I taught at a university in Riyadh and my monthly salary was around 20,000 riyals which was made up of a base salary of 13,000 plus transport allowance, expertise allowance etc. There was an option of an annual housing allowance of 40,000 or full-furnished accommodation including utilities. I have a PhD but not in medicine. The children were entitled to 8,000 each per year for education but the schools in Riyadh are very expensive. The schools that I was interested in were all demanding between 35,000-40,000 per year and even then I couldn't enroll them because they were full. Schooling is a major expense and it can swallow up a large chunk of your salary so make some inquires about that. I would say that your total monthly salary, all allowances included, should be at least 20,000 per month. But, again, I'm not familiar with that university so I'm not sure what is the norm there. Hope this helps.
jini0212

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »

Thank you all for the valuable response. Probably, I may not go there. Meantime, I'm waiting for response from other univ. in US. I hope I can get a good news. By the way, I tried to negotiate with them. Whenever I emailed, they never respond upon my email. I believe if they want to hire good scholar, they have to change the way of communication with way better offer.
rainbowprof

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:45:58 AM »

Thank you all for the valuable response. Probably, I may not go there. Meantime, I'm waiting for response from other univ. in US. I hope I can get a good news. By the way, I tried to negotiate with them. Whenever I emailed, they never respond upon my email. I believe if they want to hire good scholar, they have to change the way of communication with way better offer.

Did you try to negotiate on their offer?
jini0212

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »

Yeah! I did try to negotiate with them. However, they never even respond to my email at all. Later on, they said recruitment process will be closed soon. So, they said I have to decide ASAP. So....I declined their offer.

Throughout this experience, I realized that University of Tabuk is a long way to go to be a good institution.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:34:36 PM by jini0212 » Logged
ak1175

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 6:24:48 AM »

OK here is my take: I work here at Tabuk University.....I think your offer is very good... Tabuk is not Riyadh...Its cheap and clean compared to Riyadh...  and the chidren schooling is good and cheap. we have an MOU with the British International School, which will admit your kids and the University will pay upto 6000 per child up 4 children. luckily the british school charge us with 50% discount, so it is just 8000 per year per child, which means that you pay just 2000 extra per year... which is very good. and the rest everything is free....food is cheap... accomodation is good and cheap...so will save like 10000 per month or even more...

Hi All,

Recently, I got an offer from Univ. of Tabuk, School of Medicine. Would anyone give me some notions whether this offer is good or bad? (I got my Ph.D degree in US and I have two kids.)

In addition, does anyone can share some information reg. living condition and campus life of univ. of tabuk? it is very hard to find information. Thanks in advance.

best,

bbibbi

Here is my Take:
ak1175

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 6:31:16 AM »

Hi All,

best,

bbibbi

Do contact me  ak1175@gmail.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 6:34:25 AM by ak1175 » Logged
ab007

Veteran of the Magic Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »

OK here is my take: I work here at Tabuk University.....I think your offer is very good... Tabuk is not Riyadh...Its cheap and clean compared to Riyadh...  and the chidren schooling is good and cheap. we have an MOU with the British International School, which will admit your kids and the University will pay upto 6000 per child up 4 children. luckily the british school charge us with 50% discount, so it is just 8000 per year per child, which means that you pay just 2000 extra per year... which is very good. and the rest everything is free....food is cheap... accomodation is good and cheap...so will save like 10000 per month or even more...

Hi All,

best,

bbibbi

Here is my Take:

Have you got any inside info about the college of engineering?
How's the work environment there? Especially in the Civil engineering department?

Thanks.

Regards,

ab007

ab007.
edegy

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 9:37:22 PM »

I got an offer from them to which I responded positively... then I got an e-mail asking for an interview after one month from now...what a mess?! Anyone has passed through the same situation?! I contacted the Dean but in vain. Any tips/advice?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: