• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:14:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GUST - Kuwait  (Read 12917 times)
asimplelass

« on: March 04, 2012, 9:09:17 PM »

Hello there folks,

Having searched this site (and others) not much information has been found regarding GUST (a private institute). I wanted to apply and as some users have expressed their dismay over the American University in Kuwait, i'm hoping this is not a similar case.

Could anyone possibly shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance.
tijuanafina

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 4:39:03 PM »

About the "dismay" I think you mean the "American University of the Middle East in Kuwait," not the "American University of Kuwait," these are two different schools. 
asimplelass

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 8:26:44 AM »

About the "dismay" I think you mean the "American University of the Middle East in Kuwait," not the "American University of Kuwait," these are two different schools. 

Thank you for clarifying. My information mainly comes from research carried out on the internet. Has the American University of the Middle East in Kuwait improved as yet?

I was also wondering how long does the application process for employment take in Kuwait universities, i.e from the point of submission until shortlist and so forth. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
academia123

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 7:26:02 AM »

As for GUST, it is not bad. As for the American University of the Middle East (AUM)... it is getting worst. I work there and will be resigning soon. Do not come to AUM it is the worst place to be ever. Read this: http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php?topic=85590.0

Good luck
raj35

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:16:15 AM »

I got an offer from KSU, Riyadh as an associate professor and i am an indian citizen. Base salary offered is SAR 15000.
I have 5 years experience serving in US as an Assistant professor.

What is your opinion about the offer?
ab007

Veteran of the Magic Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »

I got an offer from KSU, Riyadh as an associate professor and i am an indian citizen. Base salary offered is SAR 15000.

What was the final salary offered to you, and which field?
Do you hold US passport or not?

For  Associate Professor in engineering with a Western passport, the final salary range is [SR21000 - SR30000] depending on the experience.
Others without a Western passport, expect the range to be half of the above.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:35:38 AM by ab007 » Logged

ab007.
wwinit

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 8:11:13 AM »

raj35 - Here is the thread for GUST in Kuwait, so you might like to start your own one.  KSU is one of renown, government-owned universities offering low base salaries.  If you look up other threads in here, you can find many people complaining about the KSU salary.  They just do not care as to whether you will take it or not due to its number 1 in this magic kingdom and this region.  Having said that, you will need to negotiate the first offer and raise the base salary near SR 20K.  In case of green or blue passports like yours, you may be able to increase up to 10 - 30% or SR 16,500 - 19,500.  Nothing you can do about the allowances though.  Good luck.

momme

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 12:35:49 PM »

Hello there folks,

Having searched this site (and others) not much information has been found regarding GUST (a private institute). I wanted to apply and as some users have expressed their dismay over the American University in Kuwait, i'm hoping this is not a similar case.

Could anyone possibly shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance.

GUST is a 10 year old, private for-profit institution in Kuwait. The hiring cycle is usually between November and March, so probably there are no available position this time.  As a work place, it is quite a reasonable place. The course load is high (12 contact hours per week), but otherwise it is a decent place to work. Hope this helps.
footloose_prof

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 1:46:39 PM »

OP--you are correct.  There is little information posted on this blog or the academic jobs wiki about GUST.  This is by design; GUST administration works hard to keep the lid on faculty management practices and the terms and conditions of employment.

GUST's College of Business is once again applying for faculty (in September, 2013), although it's preferred hiring window is from November to February.  In fact, GUST does faculty hiring on a relatively continuous basis.  There is a reason for this. You might ask yourself, "Why would a college or university, either GUST or another (e.g., KIMEP, Chattagong Women's College, etc.) need to continuously hire faculty?"  As Stan Lee famously observed, "'Nuff said."
momme

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 4:50:39 AM »

"Why would a college or university, either GUST or another (e.g., KIMEP, Chattagong Women's College, etc.) need to continuously hire faculty?"

Could expansion be the reason?
footloose_prof

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 4:15:45 PM »

In the case of GUST, as well as the other universities I mentioned (all of which have terrible reputations for faculty management--check out the many threads on these schools as well as the "universities to avoid" page on the academic jobs wiki--no.  Expansion is not the reason for hiring a spankin' new batch of faculty every semester.  Have you ever heard of voluntary and involuntary faculty turnover?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: