• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 8:39:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: American University in Kuwait  (Read 16508 times)
gollum

« on: March 05, 2007, 11:11:46 AM »

Does anyone know anything about AUK?  Is Kuwait relatively safe, even with Iraq right next door?  Thanks!

Gollum
just_dave

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 12:26:02 AM »

I worked at Kuwait University during the Iran-Iraq war and though we could occasionally hear canon fire off in the distance, no one ever for an instance imagined that they were in any danger.

I wouldn't make this any part of you decision to work at AUK (about which I know nothing).

lobloba

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 7:00:45 PM »

Yes, it is safe. There are very few incidents that happened in Kuwait. The quality of students might be an issue (unless you lowered your expectation)
prytania3
Distinguished Senior Member

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 11:54:22 AM »

I know someone who taught there. He liked the school well enough, but Kuwait was mad boring. Nothing going on and it's like a parking lot of sand. He managed to get a teaching job in Bahrain, which he much preferred.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
just_dave

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 6:23:45 PM »

I know someone who taught there. He liked the school well enough, but Kuwait was mad boring. Nothing going on and it's like a parking lot of sand. He managed to get a teaching job in Bahrain, which he much preferred.

The US pilots flying over Saudi and Kuwait used to refer to the landscape as "wall to wall f**k all."  Personally, having been on the ground, I don't think that's a fair characterization for many parts fo the Gulf.  That having been said, yes, the Kuwaiti landscape is pretty boring.  It's not deep sand deserts with romantic dunes; it's largely a flat, gravelly expanse.  Plus with the military there, I'd imagine that large areas are out of bounds.  Certainly the more interesting area around the "Mutlaq Ridge" on the road towards Iraq.  (I was arrested and held for espionage for 12 hours once for taking photographs in this area.) 

As to whether Kuwait (or any other Gulf country) is boring, I think that depends on one's personal preferences.  Personally, I find US suburbia and its malls almost mind-destroyingly boring.  And no I don't care about "nightlife."   And if Kuwait was boring I can't even imagine what life in little teeny Bahrain is like.  It had been my impression that the expats who can't stand the "boredom" where often pretty boring people themselves.  You can't go to the Middle East expecting to be entertained (as you can most metropolitan areas of the US).  You have to get out and make things happen. 

Still all in all, I'd rank Kuwait as one of the least interesting countries in the Gulf -- and Oman and the most interesting.
prytania3
Distinguished Senior Member

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 11:15:08 PM »

As to whether Kuwait (or any other Gulf country) is boring, I think that depends on one's personal preferences.  Personally, I find US suburbia and its malls almost mind-destroyingly boring.  And no I don't care about "nightlife."   And if Kuwait was boring I can't even imagine what life in little teeny Bahrain is like.  It had been my impression that the expats who can't stand the "boredom" where often pretty boring people themselves.  You can't go to the Middle East expecting to be entertained (as you can most metropolitan areas of the US).  You have to get out and make things happen. 

Still all in all, I'd rank Kuwait as one of the least interesting countries in the Gulf -- and Oman and the most interesting.

You can be entertained in Bahrain. Bahrain is FUN! Tiny or not.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
just_dave

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 1:28:48 AM »

Bahrain is FUN! Tiny or not.

I suspect we have different definitions of "fun."  ; ) 
just_dave

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 1:45:22 AM »

Still, just to be fair, here's an interesting set of photos of Bahrain.  In many ways it looks very similar to the Kuwait I knew.  It's hard to believe this is all squeezed into one (main) 40mile long island.

http://www.pbase.com/bmcmorrow/bahrain&page=all
just_dave

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 1:56:52 AM »

Actually, there are lots of other photos on that site of most of the Gulf countries.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: