who owns copyright to new course

(1/6) > >>

pmarcoux:
Who owns the copyright to a course taught at a public institution of higher education? When I submit a new course to a curriculum committee do I give up copyright? What about course syllabuses? Can a college post syllabuses online to the public without a professor's permission?
I did a quick search online and was deluged with information about copyright issues when teaching a course. Any resources will be appreciated.

zuzu_:
I think this depends on the college's intellectual property policy. My faculty union recently negotiated this issue. Short version: the course is co-owned. The long version is a whole bunch of legalese in our contract.

carebearstare:
I'm with Zuzu. At some schools, anything you produce for the school belongs to the school, whereas at others you retain more rights. This would be a good thing to discuss with your chair, the head of your union (if you are unionized), or a dean.

It might also be that your syllabi are considered property of the school, but anything you produce--assignments, tests, etc.--are yours. This is how it was at the place where I last taught before my current job.

glowdart:
Check your contract.  Our materials that we produce for non-online courses (regardless of whether they are hybrid or not) are ours, even if we put them up on the CMS.  Our *materials* on the fully on-line courses can be our copyright, but the school technically "owns" the course IF you were paid to produce the course.   (In other words, if someone else teaches the on-line course, your materials retain your copyright notations but you cannot prevent the other person who teaches the course from using your materials.  They cannot alter them, but they can use them.)

skinnymargarita:
Quote from: pmarcoux on September 22, 2009,  9:02:32 PM

Who owns the copyright to a course taught at a public institution of higher education? When I submit a new course to a curriculum committee do I give up copyright? What about course syllabuses? Can a college post syllabuses online to the public without a professor's permission?
I did a quick search online and was deluged with information about copyright issues when teaching a course. Any resources will be appreciated.

I wrote an online course and in the contract it specifically stated that the materials would be the property of the college. In this case, I altered what I normally use so that I would infringe on their rights should I want to use my own materials.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page