• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 6:51:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you let your students hug you?  (Read 12042 times)
rafrafraf

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 3:19:44 PM »

Thank you for the article bioteacher.

Today I got a hug from another student and felt less awkward because of what I heard from you all. :)

"Every good life comes from embracing some risks along the way. " ~ larryc
lohai0
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 9:12:59 PM »

There is a good article up on this right now.

I like the idea of a teddy bear in my office for hugs. I need to get one and make a shirt for it that says "free hugs."

I occasionally have students hug me. It's quite rare. I can think of two occasions when I initiated a hug. The students were dealing with some really major traumas. I asked if they needed/wanted a hug and got a tearful nod in reply. I was happy to oblige.

We are social primates at our core. And while I absolutely believe that we need boundaries and even caution with some students, we're all human. And when life rains crap down upon our heads, sometimes a hug can help.

[hijack]
We actually have a bear, but it's not for students. He is a Dissertation Therapy Bear. We paid the extra at Build-a-Bear so that when you hug him, he says "You are smart and your ideas are good. You will finish someday."
[/hijack]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 9:13:23 PM by lohai0 » Logged

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
peppergal

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 9:27:01 PM »

I've never hugged a student, but when I was a student, I did hug my advisor.  She still hugs me whenever she sees me.  Actually, come to think of it, most of my former professors hug me when they see me.

Gee, now I'm wondering what kind of vibe I give off that makes my students not want to hug me.
slinger
Quite Un-

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 9:41:04 PM »

I was hugged today by my previously mentioned permission-to-even-think-about-peeing. She's come a ways, but still has a lot of work to do. She credits me with that progression, but all I did was push her to do it by herself.

Several threads on the fora could be solved by just Being A Damn Grownup.
That is it, Slinger, you're banned!
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 9:42:52 PM »

There is a good article up on this right now.

I like the idea of a teddy bear in my office for hugs. I need to get one and make a shirt for it that says "free hugs."

I occasionally have students hug me. It's quite rare. I can think of two occasions when I initiated a hug. The students were dealing with some really major traumas. I asked if they needed/wanted a hug and got a tearful nod in reply. I was happy to oblige.

We are social primates at our core. And while I absolutely believe that we need boundaries and even caution with some students, we're all human. And when life rains crap down upon our heads, sometimes a hug can help.

[hijack]
We actually have a bear, but it's not for students. He is a Dissertation Therapy Bear. We paid the extra at Build-a-Bear so that when you hug him, he says "You are smart and your ideas are good. You will finish someday."
[/hijack]

Oh, I want one! Maybe when I graduate I will get that for my advisor to keep in her office. 

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
bioteacher
chocolate loving

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 9:59:24 PM »

What a cool idea! I see that Build-a-bear also has many university-specific T-shirts. I need to do this, I think.

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 9:59:54 PM »

I do not allow my students to touch my person in any way.  It disturbs the vibrations.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
neutralname
A person without qualities, except for being a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 10:09:28 PM »

A schoolteacher friend of mine in the UK tells me their policy they can do sideways hugs.  No hugs where genitalia face each other (although presumably their policy is not stated in those terms). 

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov
mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »

A schoolteacher friend of mine in the UK tells me their policy they can do sideways hugs.  No hugs where genitalia face each other (although presumably their policy is not stated in those terms). 

Ah, like the Duggar family!  They're not allowed to give anything but sideways hugs, even to their own siblings.

I get and give more hugs to fellow faculty than students, and it doesn't take long to separate the huggers from the non-huggers.  Thankfully, I have a hugger in the offices on either side of my office, so I'm all set.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 10:48:31 PM »

There are two professors that I know I'll get and give hugs to whenever we meet on campus. They're both former business professors of mine. There's another that hugs occasionally. My chorus prof and I hug in church, but never on campus. In all cases, they initiate them, although it's become so common with the two business professors that I can't really say that either of us initiates those any longer. They just happen.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »

Ick.  I would get really uncomfortable if a student attempted to hug me.  I'm not at all big on physical contact with people I'm not currently shagging (I can't even deal with massages).

I make a point of shaking each student's hand and wishing them the best for the future as they turn in their final and leave for the last time, though.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
dr_alcott

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 11:32:42 PM »

Ah, like the Duggar family!  They're not allowed to give anything but sideways hugs, even to their own siblings.

Really? Really??!?

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
lohai0

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 11:35:17 PM »

Really? Really??!?

The Duggars are pretty much in the Tyson Zone for me, so I'm buying it.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
skeptical

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 11:43:25 PM »

NO Hugging!
heynonnynonnymouse

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 11:52:07 PM »

I would hug if a student initiated one, but most want to shake hands, high five, or fist-bump as they turn in their final exams rather than hug - maybe because the room is such chaos as many, many students are turning in their exams? (I am a TA for discussion sections of a large lecture course, and the exams take place in a huge auditorium.)

On the other hand, when I was teaching my own, smaller classes, I did get occasional hugs. And I hug my advisor and other faculty mentors from time to time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: