• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:25:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you take to a student's graduation party?  (Read 8482 times)
arizona

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 8:19:33 PM »

If you don't want to bring alcohol, bottles of gourmet Italian soda or a box of fancy bakery cookies might be a nice substitute.
traductio
Unassuming

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 11:18:31 PM »

Last year a few of my graduating students (undergrad) invited me to their parties, and I wrote them cards with descriptions of the talents they had for which I admired them. One was a perspicacious young woman who was curious, engaging, and generous, and I told her as much. Another was a young man whose political views were very different from mine, but whose presence in class I always appreciated because he kept me honest. I hope the cards meant something to them because they certainly meant something to me -- it's rare that I get to tell my students that I admire them, at least in such a direct fashion.

"alors comment disposer de ce qui est mort en vous désormais? Tout simplement en s'accommodant de l'irréversible constat de décès. Ensuite prendre ce qui reste, lui fixer un itinéraire" Daniel Bélanger, "Round 8"
spectrum

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »

I went with the book option and the gifts were gratefully received.  I'm doubtful that they were read, but at least I contributed to university presses.
clean
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 8:28:16 PM »

How bout a gift basket of these:

http://www.charlestoncandycompany.com/pralines/

Pralines.  My mouth just watered (a lot) at the thought of them! 

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader
mozman

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 8:38:08 PM »

You can never go wrong with scotch.

Could you grow the foot into another patient? I mean, you are a scientist.
spectrum

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 1:03:40 PM »

One of the students went into rehab after graduating.  So I suspect that scotch would have been wrong.
lucy_

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 11:38:49 PM »

One of my favorite mementos from undergrad is a book from my favorite professor; when he died, his widow brought all of the books from his office to the on-campus memorial service and said that his students should take one to remember him by. I was pleased to see that one we had worked with extensively in his class was still there.

I vote book.

What a nice gesture.

I've given my students the following, depending on their interests:

Books. Giant Microbes for those interested in microbiology; related to their research. To a student that went on to teach: a carved onyx apple. A carved Buda from our fair trade co-op to a student who was double majoring in science and philosophy and had recently discovered Eastern religions. But these are students I knew well, so it was easy to give them something personal.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: