• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:32:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.
 
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: quandary  (Read 5096 times)
snowdin
New member
*
Posts: 10


« on: April 28, 2012, 10:31:17 PM »


So I had received an offer and a few days after getting the offer was contacted to come out for an interview elsewhere.

I've been negotiating for a bit but I now have to make a decision before flying out to the other interview.

I think it makes the most sense to take the offer in hand as the offer is really good and when I contacted school B to ask about timeline they said I was the third of four and they wouldn't make a decision until the end of the month. I can't delay school A that long.

Now I leave this week for the interview so my quandary is: do I go and not mention that I am planning to accept the offer? or do I let them know I will not be coming out even though they have already arranged a schedule for me and all that? I booked the flights myself so they wouldn't be on the hook for flights. How would you perceive this as a search committee? I just want to make sure I'm not burning any bridges.

Logged
systeme_d_
Distinguished Senior Member
*****
Posts: 16,159

No T, no shade. Usually.


« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:08:27 PM »

You may certainly cancel your interview. 
Just tell the search chair that you have decided to accept an offer from University A.

I am sure the committee will be happy for you.
Logged

polly_mer
practice makes perfect
Distinguished Senior Member
*****
Posts: 37,443

Have you worked on that project today?


« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 8:18:32 AM »

Cancel the interview and notify that committee immediately.
Logged

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
lurkingfear
Senior member
****
Posts: 729


« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 9:32:29 AM »

Hosting interviews is a big time suck. If you aren't going to accept a position, or it would be offered too late, the SC will be disappointed at the late notice but glad they aren't wasting two days. Also, if they want you, they may be wasting time discussing the relative merits of the other candidates vs you.
Logged
snowbound
Distinguished Senior Member
*****
Posts: 1,124


« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 10:10:01 AM »

You are doing a school no favors at all by putting the to the time and expense of a campus interview if you have no intention at all of taking the job if offered. 

How firm is the offer from the other school?  I suggest you verbally accept the job offer and ask them to fax you the contract ASAP.  Explain to them that you have another campus interview you want to cancel, but you are reluctant to do so so long as there is some chance that the job offer might fall through.
Logged
niceday
Distinguished Senior Member
*****
Posts: 2,974


« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 1:39:17 PM »

I would interview until I had a signed contract in my hand--then withdraw. It's not that likely  something will go wrong with school A, but it's happened before.

Yes, it is unfortunate for whomever you turn down (if you get the other offer as well) but so is having to turn down other schools due to vagaries of timing... The job search kinda sucks for candidates and kinda sucks for schools in different ways.

My priority would be to make sure that I had a job.
Logged
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a
Distinguished Senior Member
*****
Posts: 7,404

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\


WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 2:41:53 PM »

I recently did go on a final interview when I had received an offer.

Granted, the interview had been scheduled for well over a month, and my offer came on a Monday when I was flying to last interview on Wednesday.

I did tell the SC Chair at dinner that I had an offer that I would be required to answer by the following Friday. He told me that they would be making their decision by the following Wednesday.

I didn't get a call from final interview...but I also felt that I was pretty upfront about the whole process. I was happy with the offer that I received and happy to accept it.

In my case, it was a nice campus visit, and I am glad to have had one more chance to polish my skills as well as have more comparisons of programs/departments.

I also withdrew from a third ( interview already done) search once I accepted the offer.
Logged

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
eddyman
Senior member
****
Posts: 296


« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 11:20:55 PM »

I recently did go on a final interview when I had received an offer.

Granted, the interview had been scheduled for well over a month, and my offer came on a Monday when I was flying to last interview on Wednesday.

I did tell the SC Chair at dinner that I had an offer that I would be required to answer by the following Friday. He told me that they would be making their decision by the following Wednesday.

I didn't get a call from final interview...but I also felt that I was pretty upfront about the whole process. I was happy with the offer that I received and happy to accept it.

In my case, it was a nice campus visit, and I am glad to have had one more chance to polish my skills as well as have more comparisons of programs/departments.

I also withdrew from a third ( interview already done) search once I accepted the offer.

I had a very similar experience other than withdrawing from a third search.  I debated about whether to go to the second school after receiving the offer at the first school (which was my top choice) two days before flying out for the interview.  In the end I went for a number of reasons: canceling at the very last moment seemed bad form at the time, there was enough of a chance (though it was minimal) that I might prefer the second position more, and I thought the experience might be good for my career and knowledge of academia. 

Like Baleful, I also informed the SC chair in my interview with him that I had a job offer elsewhere that I needed to respond to pronto.  In the end the second position was even worse than I had imagined and I didn't even get an offer out of it anyway.  But the experience was made tolerable because I had much less stress knowing I had an offer elsewhere waiting for my acceptance.     
Logged
snowbound
Distinguished Senior Member
*****
Posts: 1,124


« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:12:33 PM »

  canceling at the very last moment seemed bad form at the time

There's all sorts of valid reasons for doing a campus visit when you have a job offer that you will likely accept, but this is not one!  Get over yourselves, applicants!  Those campus visits are not like dinner party engagements; the faculty are not inviting you because they are looking forward to your company and can't think of a better way to spend hours and hours of their time!  They are investing all that precious time and money for one reason only: to see if you would be suitable for the open position. 

If you have decided to accept an offer elsewhere, NOT canceling is bad form.  Even if  you cancel on one day's notice, not only will you be saving them time and money, but it will often be possible for the SC to arrange for their next choice to come the following week.
Logged
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a
Distinguished Senior Member
*****
Posts: 7,404

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\


WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 5:26:37 PM »

  canceling at the very last moment seemed bad form at the time

There's all sorts of valid reasons for doing a campus visit when you have a job offer that you will likely accept, but this is not one!  Get over yourselves, applicants!  Those campus visits are not like dinner party engagements; the faculty are not inviting you because they are looking forward to your company and can't think of a better way to spend hours and hours of their time!  They are investing all that precious time and money for one reason only: to see if you would be suitable for the open position. 

If you have decided to accept an offer elsewhere, NOT canceling is bad form.  Even if  you cancel on one day's notice, not only will you be saving them time and money, but it will often be possible for the SC to arrange for their next choice to come the following week.

Just to clarify re: my experience. Had the 2nd school offered I would have very seriously considered them. I liked the location, I enjoyed the research portfolio of the dept, I enjoyed the people and the visit.

I told them of the first offer per fora advice, and because I am a pretty upfront kind of gal. It's fine that they didn't offer. I had a little "aw shucks" moment and then got over it.

My feeling was that until I accepted the (first) offer I was still a free agent. I had a smidge of wiggle room in timing, so took it.

Like I said, I'm glad I went on the interview. I would have regretted not seeing if they were a better fit for me. As it stands, I am really happy that I stayed with First school and offer.
Logged

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
larryc
Troll Proof
Distinguished Senior Member
*****
Posts: 23,000

Be excellent to each other.


WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 5:57:00 PM »

I've been negotiating for a bit but I now have to make a decision before flying out to the other interview.

If you are going to take the other job, call the head of the SC right now and cancel.

I have more than once been on a SC where this happened. We all said something like, "Damn, we were looking forward to meeting this person, but you can't blame her for taking a better job. And hey--we have unexpected free time!"
Logged

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
mazerunner
Member
***
Posts: 162


« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 8:11:36 AM »

If you show up at the interview with no intentions of accepting the job, you may inadvertently give off a vibe that your mind and heart aren't really in it or that you think their school is a "safety school" or merely a tool that you can use to leverage a better contract at another school.  I was on a SC that interviewed such a candidate.  A few days after the interview, she contacted us to say she had accepted a position elsewhere.  That was fine by us because we could sense her lack of interest.
Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.9 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
  • 1255 Twenty-Third St., N.W.
  • Washington, D.C. 20037
subscribe today

Get the insight you need for success in academe.