• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:11:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chair insensitive?  (Read 13380 times)
hyvard

« on: May 17, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »

Our chair goes on exotic, expensive vacations every chance she gets. Fine. However, she asks adjuncts to volunteer thier houses on between -semester weekends for adjunct get-togethers under the guise of everyone should get to know everyone.

This turns out to be a show and tell  forum to the adjuncts of the chair's latest travel adventures.

Some of these adjuncts are making 20K a year, have health problems, and no insurance, let alone able to relate to  globe-shuffling, although I'm sure some would like to be able to.

I find this incrediblity obnoxious and insensitve.  Would like an unbiased opinion. Needless to say, I've stayed far away from these events.
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 12:19:53 PM »

Are you also an adjunct in this dept?

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
hyvard

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 12:21:51 PM »

Yes, 3 years - some have been there adjuncting as long as 22 years. It's a colossal state school taught mostly by adjuncts.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 1:09:50 PM »

What is this to you? Let it go.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
neutralname
A person without qualities, except for being a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 1:13:28 PM »

You are totally right.  You have made the right decisions. 

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 1:14:33 PM »

What is this to you? Let it go.

+100

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 1:16:26 PM »

Yes, 3 years - some have been there adjuncting as long as 22 years. It's a colossal state school taught mostly by adjuncts.

There are other things you can do to sustain more cooperative and pleasant relations with people you work with.  If you know and like some of the other adjuncts, how about if you all get together for a potluck instead of allowing the Chair to dictate by default how you all socialize?  

Sure, what she's doing is crappy and narcissistic, and it sounds like you have made a healthy choice not to stick around for the show.  But you're not in a position to make her stop doing it.  In any case, this Chair sounds like a good candidate to become a Dean <interthreaduality> so you may not have to deal with her for too much longer.

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
aside

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 1:44:46 PM »

Because you ask for opinions:  If the chair wants the adjuncts to get to know each other by means of a social function, then I believe the chair should host the party, but that might be irrelevant given the situation.  One can crusade for truth, justice, and the American way, or one can be pragmatic.
hyvard

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 2:43:01 PM »

Aside, these events have not been at her house (at least in my time there). TCat, I think you hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the clarity,and thanks to all who took the time to respond. 
zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 8:45:21 AM »

When people behave this way, it can be infuriating.

What I suggest is trying to channel the anger into pity. Anyone who feels the need to show off like this and flaunt her globe trotting is likely a deeply insecure person who feels her worth is measured by this appearance of worldliness. Worse, she uses her power as chair to "force" the adjunct faculty stroke her ego. She has no true friends who are sincerely interested in these show and tells. How sad. She is a sad human.

oldadjunct

LIFO. Enough said.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 10:06:07 PM »

One year too long.  Get out or get used to it.  Anyone who adjuncts for 22 years and is unhappy has only one person to complain to, and it is not some asshat chair.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

OMG!  My partner gave me hu!  What do I do to get rid of hu?
missbrowntoyou
who has limerick'd, non sequitur'd, and free associated her way to being a

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 10:13:56 PM »

Zuzu hit it on the head.
Sad stuff.

"Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much."
oldadjunct

LIFO. Enough said.

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 10:38:51 PM »

One year too long.  Get out or get used to it.  Anyone who adjuncts for 22 years and is unhappy has only one person to complain to, and it is not some asshat chair.

I pity more the person who accepts rather than delivers such stupidity.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

OMG!  My partner gave me hu!  What do I do to get rid of hu?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: