• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:07:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monash  (Read 10505 times)
expatphd

« on: April 24, 2012, 4:53:12 AM »

Hi,

I'd like to know what Australian-based forumites think of Monash in general, and the main campus (Clayton) in Melbourne in particular.  Is there anything going on there (or other unis in Australia) like what is happening in Sydney?

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/02/university-of-sydney-sackings-trigger-academic-backlash.html

Are things in Sydney as bad as this blog piece suggests?

Cheers!
totoro
Friendly Neighborhood Troll and
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 5:19:25 AM »

Monash is good, at least in my field. We just lost one of our best researchers to them. I think everyone will be stepping more carefully after Sydney's mistakes and consulting much more before firing people. Our university is at least. For us the cuts are coming after a period of expansion. So it makes sense to consolidate a bit and prune weaker areas. Even if we did across the board cuts like Sydney we would value quality here and not do some quantitative publication count. That was totally nuts. I'm a full prof and research director at my school (=department) so I think I know what I am talking about.

I don't know what is happening though at Monash budget wise. Here we are still hiring despite the cuts across the university coming in, so you have to keep it in perspective. It's not like the dramatic changes to funding in the UK.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 5:21:41 AM by totoro » Logged
sockdolager

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 6:43:09 AM »

What are you interested in particularly? The university, the campus, or its financial situation?
expatphd

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »

Thank you for the comments so far.

Primarily the university's reputation as a good place to work. Mostly in the research-sense, which includes its financial situation, but also in the general life there, which includes that campus and its place in the city.

Thanks.
sockdolager

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 8:49:07 PM »

Are you looking at a research-only job? I heard of research-only staff having their position reduced or discontinued a few years ago, but I understand they were all soft money/fixed term contracts and it was due to the specific research group(s) losing money.

The campus's place in the city is somewhere most people would prefer not to be, frankly, but not enough to put people off working or studying at Monash. It's a very large university and has strengths in many areas. Clayton campus is in suburbia and it's a bit of an island - you can't easily walk off campus to other facilities or shops and it's extremely crowded during semester. On the other hand, it has some good libraries and its own arts centre, which sometimes hosts professional operas and musical performances - although being Melbourne you can get much more of that in the city. (Of course, being Clayton, it could well take you an hour to get into the city...)
expatphd

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 8:37:26 AM »

Research/teaching. Thank you for your comments on it.

The transportation links into the city did seem to be few, though I suppose perhaps people choose to live elsewhere and commute to Clayton somehow?
sockdolager

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 5:49:43 AM »

The easiest way to get into the city would be take a bus and then a train. Clayton campus is effectively on the Dandenong/Pakenham/Cranbourne train line, but you have to catch a bus from the nearest station (which is Huntingdale, not Clayton). There are also many many buses that go there, but buses in Melbourne tend to be slow (lots of traffic) and run infrequently unless it is a "Smart Bus" route.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: