• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 5:49:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I modity/edit the message after I post it?  (Read 31247 times)
mona_k

« on: April 23, 2012, 1:39:52 PM »

Hi,

I posted a message in which I found some information is not accurate. I corrected it right after posting it. Now after somebody replied it, I couldn't find the "Modify" button any more. Does it mean I cannot modify it again after people respond to it?
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a
Distinguished Senior Member

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 2:22:44 PM »

The Modify function is only available for a very short while after you post.

ETA: I stopped counting at 30 seconds, but I'm fairly sure you only have it for a minute or so, if that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 2:23:33 PM by tinyzombie » Logged

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
lucy_

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 1:38:32 AM »

Glad I'm not the only one to find it so short. Initially caught me totally by surprise. Used to having longer on other forums. So now I just try to not change my mind, so unlike me though.
patchouli
. . .the essential oil

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 2:26:31 PM »

It's about 2-3 minutes, and I almost always use it as an after-the-fact typo clean-up.

Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things. --Diderot
albertlu

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 6:09:14 AM »

May I know why there should be a time limit to allow the person to modify/edit his/her post?
francie_
The Really Cheerful

The Voice of Reason

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 8:54:36 AM »

May I know why there should be a time limit to allow the person to modify/edit his/her post?

Because around here we encourage posters to follow this rule-of-thumb: "Think twice, post once."

I like your devious nature, Francie.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 8:56:06 AM »

Because around here we encourage posters to follow this rule-of-thumb: "Think twice, post once."

Which, in the event, works so well.  Thanks, Francie_!

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 9:28:43 AM »

In addition to Francie's only-slightly-smart-aleck response, keeping a reasonable record of the conversation is valuable.  If I respond to your post, you edit your post, someone else responds to that post, and you edit again, then a third person coming along a day later has no clue what happened because the posts don't follow a logical sequence.  One of the values of written conversation is the record stands for anyone who wants to read it later.

The current limit on editing time is longer than it used to be and it's long enough for many instances of post-dang-I-need-a-one-sentence-postscript.  If people could edit indefinitely, then the recorded conversation aspect (the value to most readers of these fora) would be lost.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 4:26:23 AM »

Theoretically true, Polly, but in practice this is not a problem on other fora, and this stands out as a CHE oddity/annoyance.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 9:36:33 AM »

Theoretically true, Polly, but in practice this is not a problem on other fora, and this stands out as a CHE oddity/annoyance.

There are other discussion groups that allow one to edit messages after other people have replied and allow those messages to be edited forever?  I must not get out enough because I've not seen that, unless that's why I don't bother to visit certain sites where school questions are answered because the discussions cannot be followed so the discussions are worthless.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
daniel_von_flanagan
<redacted>

Works all day. Posts all night. Needs sleep.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 9:48:08 AM »

There are other discussion groups that allow one to edit messages after other people have replied and allow those messages to be edited forever?
There are, actually.  They are pretty irritating in practice, as the flow of discussion in threads becomes odd.

I use the preview button on 100% of all posts. I suspect there are people who do not. - DvF

The U.S. Education Department is establishing a new national research center to study colleges' ability to successfully educate the country's growing numbers of academically underprepared administrators.
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 9:55:53 AM »

There are other discussion groups that allow one to edit messages after other people have replied and allow those messages to be edited forever?  I must not get out enough because I've not seen that, unless that's why I don't bother to visit certain sites where school questions are answered because the discussions cannot be followed so the discussions are worthless.

This is the only forum I've ever seen  that *doesn't* allow editing after a short period.  On most boards I've used, it's far politer to modify one's last post than to double post, for instance.  Standard etiquette is to flag edits explicitly.  I've never seen it become a problem, and I use a number of boards.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »

On most boards I've used, it's far politer to modify one's last post than to double post, for instance.

I agree that modifying one's last post is generally politer than double posting.  However, in my book, editing a post after multiple people have replied is far less polite than posting again.  Let's think about what most people here want to change.  Almost no one is up in arms about misspelling something or wanting to make a very minor clarification because of poor word choice in the original post.  The preview window works nicely for that after one has has a string of "d'oh!"

The people who insist that the editing window should be longer are usually trying to avoid the consequences of having written an inflammatory post that prompted much discussion or a few very heated replies.  Why should that situation mean that the flow of the discussion is interrupted?  It happened and either someone can make public amends or decide to let the furor die down.

francie_
The Really Cheerful

The Voice of Reason

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 10:56:36 AM »

If I accidently type it's for its, or, horror of horrors, forget to use the Oxford comma, I feel shame for the rest of the day.  I want a longer edit window!

Just checked another forum where I post that has a longer edit window.  Turns out I can edit any post I've made.  I also have about a week or so to delete a post.

Polly_mer: closet archivist?

I like your devious nature, Francie.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 11:25:26 AM »

Polly_mer: closet archivist?

Could be.  Even though I'm not on those other sites, I remain dismayed that the written word has no permanence and can be changed willy-nilly. 

How are we supposed to follow the thoughts of the people who went before us?

How are we supposed to know the context for group decisions and whether the decision should be revisited?

How are we supposed to know what to trust and people's history if history can be changed?

That situation is as though people did not learn the lessons we were supposed to learn from reading 1984 and are insisting on allowing that authority to everyone.

I have to go lie down now.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: