• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 4:53:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sabattical procedures  (Read 4642 times)
flutter

« on: October 02, 2012, 1:30:07 PM »

I was wondering what the process is in your place for selecting individuals to take sabbatical. I've run into snags with the different levels of approval necessary and unclear criteria within at least 2 of those levels regarding how selections are made.

Also, for those who have taken them, how many and over how many years have you had?
flutter

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 1:35:10 PM »

Apologies for misspelling sabbatical! Too late to edit.
theblondeassassin
Rootin' Tootin' Invigilatin'
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 1:51:42 PM »

We build up one year of leave every seven of full-time teaching (so 1/6 per year), hence a "true" sabbatical.

To take it, we need to get local approval from other interested parties, for example the area head if teaching will need to be covered; give an indication of what we'll do (e.g., write a book); and then apply officially for leave.

The criteria seem to be: (1) are your duties covered by someone else / will you still do them; (2) what will you do worthwhile with the leave; (3) do you need to be paid / are you teaching elsewhere for a big whack.

You can take the leave as earned, or wait until you have a full year, but it does evaporate if not used within some period after being earned.

My hovercraft is full of eels, so I don't suppose snails in a fish tank is so very strange.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 2:51:20 PM »

We also build up credit for each full-time year we teach; the sabbatical is awarded in the 7th year.  They are automatically scheduled by the provost's office up to 8 years out, although of course this plan or program is always getting tweaked due to realities on the ground.

We do have to apply for them with a work plan--both the department chair and the appropriate dean must sign off--but they are granted without question.  Or at least a single semester at full pay is granted; one may also apply to take a full year at half-pay (which one presumably can afford, or else find other ways--grants etc.--to make up the difference).

One applies for a leave in October (not quite a year ahead) and the decisions are made before we break in December, so that departments can start working on hiring adjuncts, VAP's, etc., as needed.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
seniorscholar

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 4:09:17 PM »

Our scheme is almost exactly the same as yellowtractor's school's except that they are not 100% automatic, since the department chair and the dean reserve the right to deny the sabbatical to someone whose plan is laughably vague. Ours at a R-1 are called "research leave" not "sabbatical" and are specifically meant for that purpose.The first one is virtually automatic in the year following tenure; thereafter everyone who has any sense closes the application/plan with a paragraph about the book, articles, or whatever published as a result of the first one. There are summer grants or course releases for designing major new courses or other pedagogical activities, but not full-semester or full-year leaves.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 8:44:19 PM »

(Well, it has appeared to me that they are automatic, here.  Just this afternoon I heard a rumor about someone who got denied theirs because they didn't even bother to file the requested proposal.  So it takes some work to lose out, but it's not impossible.)

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: