• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 11:16:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Poll
Question: Offer package from Oman Medical College - Muscat  (Voting closed: June 16, 2012, 10:18:43 AM)
1 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
3 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oman Medical College  (Read 8309 times)
majedpharma

« on: June 10, 2012, 10:18:43 AM »

Hey everyone ..
I am new to this forum .. and i thought of sharing some information in an attempt
to get some feed back from you.
First let me give you the following information about myself: 1) i obtained my MSc and PhD (Pharmacy)
from the University of Nottingham, 2) i have 5 years of teaching experience,
3) i have funded research project from my current university, 4) i have good
record of published peer-reviewed articles in indexed impacted journals. 5) I my currently
an ASSISTANT PROF. Now to the point,
I have recently received an offer  from Oman Medical College - Muscat (affiliated to West Verginia
University - USA). The offer package is as follows: 1700 Oman Rial ( inclusive housing allowance)
+ Med insurance + round ticket for family + annual leave 45 days + gratuity.
The college also affered me the rank of ASSOCIATE Professor with teaching load (8 hours)
and some administrative duties. My question is .. do u think this offer package is fair and sound to what is
currently offered by Univ's in Oman ? do u recommend accepting it ?
Any experience out there regarding this college ?
Further, do u think the rank offered by the college (Assoc. Prof.) can be recognised by other
institutions/univs if i want to move to another univ. in Gulf or my home country?

Thank you

ab007

Veteran of the Magic Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 7:40:38 AM »

Hey everyone ..
I am new to this forum .. and i thought of sharing some information in an attempt
to get some feed back from you.
First let me give you the following information about myself: 1) i obtained my MSc and PhD (Pharmacy)
from the University of Nottingham, 2) i have 5 years of teaching experience,
3) i have funded research project from my current university, 4) i have good
record of published peer-reviewed articles in indexed impacted journals. 5) I my currently
an ASSISTANT PROF. Now to the point,
I have recently received an offer  from Oman Medical College - Muscat (affiliated to West Verginia
University - USA). The offer package is as follows: 1700 Oman Rial ( inclusive housing allowance)
+ Med insurance + round ticket for family + annual leave 45 days + gratuity.
The college also affered me the rank of ASSOCIATE Professor with teaching load (8 hours)
and some administrative duties. My question is .. do u think this offer package is fair and sound to what is
currently offered by Univ's in Oman ? do u recommend accepting it ?
Any experience out there regarding this college ?
Further, do u think the rank offered by the college (Assoc. Prof.) can be recognised by other
institutions/univs if i want to move to another univ. in Gulf or my home country?

Thank you e

Well, the salary offered for Associate Prof is a little bit short of what is offered, for example, with SQU.
The majority of Gulf universities will recognize the title of Associate Prof from other Gulf universities.
I do not think the Associate Prof from the Gulf universities will be recognized in UK. The system of promotion is different and more reliable in UK than in the Gulf.

BTW, you polling question is not clear!
What do the options 1,2, and 3 mean?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 7:44:00 AM by ab007 » Logged

ab007.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: