• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 5:10:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Negotiation when accepting the chair position  (Read 21834 times)
viola23

« on: April 11, 2012, 10:35:49 PM »

What can be negotiated when you are accepting the position of a department chair?
Given that you are not a very eager candidate but well supported by the department, what sort of things were you able to negotiate?
I am not sure what the standards are, so just hearing of your experience would be very helpful.
Thanks!
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post
Distinguished Senior Member

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:40:24 PM »

What can be negotiated when you are accepting the position of a department chair?
Given that you are not a very eager candidate but well supported by the department, what sort of things were you able to negotiate?
I am not sure what the standards are, so just hearing of your experience would be very helpful.
Thanks!

Internal or from outside?  Makes a potentially big difference.  Good luck!

Que scay-je?
viola23

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:11 PM »

Internal
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post
Distinguished Senior Member

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:48:13 PM »

OK, I don't have as much on that since my experience is coming from outside.  But:

You should ask for money for some professional development AS chair:  CIC Department/Division Chair workshop (if you're at a smallish private), K-State Department Chair development program in Orlando, etc.  These are expensive but can be very helpful.

Take the measure of the job and get as much release time as you can reasonably ask for.  I was chair of a 30-FT faculty department; when I was hired I was theoretically supposed to teach 2 courses each semester and one or two in the summer (this was a 4/4 school), but realistically, when the scope of the job and the pace of change became clear, I usually ended up with 1/semester plus May.  Make sure you can do that if you need to.

How much budget control to you have and how much do you need to get what you want done?

Can you ask for a line or two?  That will make you look good.

Can you negotiate to keep some portion of your increased salary based on your longevity as chair?  I recently did that with one of our deans--1/3 of the increase for each year deaning, so after a third successful year she gets it all even if she goes back to the faculty.  I could do that because our deans are really division chairs and don't get a huge increase in salary, but one that's definitely worth trying to keep.

Additional professional development resources for your dept faculty.

A new computer.

A good printer exclusively for your office rather than a public machine (you'll be printing things you don't want others to see).

If I think of anything else I'll be back.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:49:06 PM by aandsdean » Logged

Que scay-je?
viola23

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »

Thanks a lot!
This is a big public school. The teaching release is fine already.
Thanks for other tips, putting down all of them.
yeastie

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »

I just had a (phone) interview for an external chair position. I'm hopeful I'll get the on campus call and the nod. I was very excited by the opportunity. This info is very, very helpful!
bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 11:47:50 AM »

Oh, this is good info.  How about asking for additional support staff?  I plan to do so.  Actually, I have been compiling a pretty long list, better to ask than not. 

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?  Omar Little
linvitee

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 2:58:45 PM »

Where I work you get a healthy stipend for being chair. I was a reluctant candidate and when I met with the dean I asked for course release beyond the what is typically given, and assurance that I would be able to maintain my research program (i.e., be able to regularly make large blocks of time where I am not immediately available to everyone) and not always be chained to the office. I was fully prepared to say no if they balked at any of these.
bevo98
Old but

Dr. Pepper

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 2:02:44 PM »

I think Monday is the day for me...or, they are going to send me packing.  Still, I am arriving with my full list of demands as well as a fifth of bourbon if I don't get the job. Or, maybe I should have it if I do get the job.

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?  Omar Little
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: