• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:04:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: employment date and defense date  (Read 6146 times)
chezr2d2

« on: April 02, 2012, 10:12:50 AM »

Hello, I will be offered a job starting from August. However, I know that my defense won't happen till early September. In this sense, what should I do? I have a few questions: 1. should I request to have the defense in July? is this not common in UK? or should I discuss with the new department about my start date?
chezr2d2

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:13:23 AM »

Thanks for your advice!
drspouse
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 2:36:26 PM »

I assume the defense is in the US, or you'd call it a viva.

Is the problem with the travel back to the US? If you don't mind going back for just a few days, your new department is hardly likely to mind.
chezr2d2

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 4:44:18 PM »

sorry, I should call it a viva. I am attending my Phd in UK, but the job offer is not at the same place. If I take my viva after August,it means I need to travel back to UK for two days. Therefore, I want to know is it common to have a viva during summer? any comment will be greatly apperciated. please help.

By the way, they offer me a job according to the condition of Phd, as you said, does the new department really mind I complete my studies a month later after the employment starts? just want to have a bit clarification. Cheers.
chezr2d2

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 4:57:57 PM »

Also, they may expect me to complete before August, as my written application said. however, due to some reasons, it may postpone to September (or earlier? as I am still striving to work out the problem of scheduling.But for sure, September is the latest date) Anyway, my question is: Should I bring in to discussion now or until they give me a written offer?
seniorscholar

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 7:20:34 PM »

You absolutely have to discuss this problem with the department that has offered (or "will offer") you a position. At my university it is a hard and fast rule that the PhD must be defended and filed (with a letter from the grad school saying that is the case) by July 1st for a September semester beginning; that's in the job ad, and it's taken seriously. If someone has been hired pending the defense and the defense is postponed for whatever reason, the contract is void although sometimes (not always) the department will be able to hire the person as a "lecturer" (at about 2/3rds of the assistant professor salary) and may (but does not have to) put them on the tenure track as assistant professor the following year.

Other universities have more flexible policies. But no one here can answer that question for you; it depends entirely on the rules and policies of the university where you expect to work. Before asking questions, though, you should explore that university's website to see if the faculty handbook or union contract, which may be online, deal with this situation. At my university also, the website under "Provost Office" has a dozen or so policies of one sort or another posted; I suspect the dissertation-complete-before-July 1 rule might be there, because it is a Provost's rule (the Provost being the one who actually issues contracts though the appointment letter is signed by the university's president).
drspouse

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 5:12:09 AM »

Vivas can be at any time of year, depending on the availability of your examiners, and of course remember you only have 2 so getting them together is not too difficult.

Remember though that you may have corrections, which if extensive could lead to a delay in awarding your PhD. Normally the "awarded" date is taken as the date you originally submitted, though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: