• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 11:13:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: No more Canadian pennies  (Read 8926 times)
wet_blanket
Some kind of
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 1:27:11 PM »

The Australians gave up pennies years ago.  Items may be priced to the penny, but when it comes time to pay, the cost is rounded up or down to the nearest 5.  IIRC the Kiwis have done the same thing.

The smallest Kiwi denomination is 10c.  In theory things are rounded, but in practice it has been unusual to deal in cash for more than a decade.

Let us let wet_blanket have the last word.
clean

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 1:31:41 PM »

some time ago I started a thread on 'spare change'.  I spent my recent batch this week.  I paid my cleaning in part with $40 in rolled quarters and I used $7 more to buy/squander/lose/gamble on this weekends big draw.

I know that I have at least $7 more in rolled pennies in there now... glad that I thought of that, as I am on the way to the bank!   Thanks Fora!

So what do you think Canadians will do?  Will they start to carry pennies now for those transactions that will round, or as was posted  a few minutes ago, switch to credit?

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 8:58:34 PM »

We've always carried pennies, if we get them as change; lots of people are too Scottish to throw out money, even pennies.  But a lot of people won't bother rolling them, for example (tho' I do, because I'm 1/4 Scottish and weird withal).

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: