• February 9, 2016
February 09, 2016, 1:58:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't get PDFs in Firefox  (Read 5445 times)
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Make life take the lemons back!

« on: March 29, 2012, 7:55:57 am »

This just started happening this morning. When I download a PDF in Firefox, I just get a blank page. I've tried multiple PDFs from many different journals and I'm getting the same blank page.

Is this a setting issue with Firefox? Anyone know how to fix it?

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 8:03:57 am »

I've had this problem (on a grant deadline, when I needed to preview a whopping grant application in pdf).  I think I resolved it by uninstalling all of my Adobe Reader versions, along with the trial of Acrobat X Pro, rebooting, and reinstalling Adobe Reader.  I recall also changing a setting in Firefox: in Tools, Options, Applications, my default opening setting was "Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)".  I changed that to "Use Adobe Reader (default)", and then everything worked.

I would start by checking your default opening setting in Firefox first, before uninstalling and reinstalling.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 8:04:51 am by merinoblue » Logged

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 8:07:50 am »

Thanks! Changing it to "Use Adobe Reader (default)" has at least let me download the PDFs instead of having them open in my browser, which isn't exactly what I want it to do, but at least I can read the papers I want to read now!

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 8:09:23 am »

Cool!

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
alto_stratus
Middle cloud,

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 11:06:35 am »

I had this issue a few weeks ago, and I think it was caused by an update/error message that I never saw pop up, and which was buried under a bunch of open windows on my desktop.  Once I closed it, things worked fine again. 
drdata

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 1:13:52 pm »

Switch to Chrome...no problems and loads faster than Firefox or IE
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 4:11:07 pm »

I HATE how Chrome handles PDFs. I don't want everything to go through Google Docs, thanks. Just freaking download it.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
bookishone

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 9:35:28 pm »

I HATE how Chrome handles PDFs. I don't want everything to go through Google Docs, thanks. Just freaking download it.

I don't know what you mean by this. I use Chrome a lot and like it. For me, it just opens the PDF in a new tab.

I actually switched to Chrome because I was having similar PDF problems with Safari -- just a blank screen, and no updates or preferences I tried seemed to work.

My tag line is false.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 11:04:04 pm »

I don't know what you mean by this. I use Chrome a lot and like it. For me, it just opens the PDF in a new tab.

I actually switched to Chrome because I was having similar PDF problems with Safari -- just a blank screen, and no updates or preferences I tried seemed to work.

For me it tries to open every PDF in Google Docs. I have my security settings locked down tight with Google, so I have to sign into my Google account every time, which is a massive pain in my behind. Perhaps if your Google password is saved in your browser, you don't have to go through this step?

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 11:11:27 pm »

I hate Chrome and IE. IE f*cks up my computer and Chrome crashes.

My PDF problem has gone away by itself. I can now get them to open in Firefox again. I have no idea what was really going on there.

cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 12:44:47 am »

For me it tries to open every PDF in Google Docs. I have my security settings locked down tight with Google, so I have to sign into my Google account every time, which is a massive pain in my behind. Perhaps if your Google password is saved in your browser, you don't have to go through this step?

I have a Google account but I don't use Google documents. I only sign in for Gmail or managing my YouTube videos (I don't sign in for searching the web) and I never have to sign in to view pdf files. Perhaps you clicked an option at some point to have your pdf files automatically opened in Google docs. I accidentally clicked the "open email in Gmail" one time by accident and had to reset my email preferences.

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
bookishone

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 1:13:01 pm »

I have a Google account but I don't use Google documents. I only sign in for Gmail or managing my YouTube videos (I don't sign in for searching the web) and I never have to sign in to view pdf files. Perhaps you clicked an option at some point to have your pdf files automatically opened in Google docs. I accidentally clicked the "open email in Gmail" one time by accident and had to reset my email preferences.

Alan

This. Chrome just opens the pdf in a new tab. It doesn't open Google Docs at all (and I do occasionally use Google Docs, so I would recognize it if Chrome opened it up).

My tag line is false.
neutralname
A person without qualities, except for being a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 1:33:17 pm »

Chrome works fine for me.  Generally it is faster than Firefox, although this new Firefox 11 seems faster than 10.  Both of them handle PDFs with no problem, although large ones can be a pain.  Then I just download and use Adobe Reader.

"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." Vladimir Nabokov
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: