• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:12:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poets and their Pictures  (Read 8673 times)
king_ghidorah
Disgruntled and looking for a little gruntle
Distinguished Senior Member

Give me three steps, give me three steps, mister.

« on: February 26, 2012, 6:43:08 PM »

There is a great deal to admire in contemporary poetry, much that is good, a good deal that is excellent, and the best of today will stand up over time with the best from any era or culture.

But oh those pictures!  There's 'the angry poet,' 'the sullen poet,' the demure poet,' the 'humble-at-my-own-greatness' poet, 'the I'm-sexy-and-I-know-it (I'm too sexy for my poem) poet,' and, worst of all, the 'I-see-greatness-in-the-distance-and-that's-why-I've-got-this-visionary-look-in-my-eyes" poet.

Mind you, I admire and often love poems from all these people, but we really need a savvy designer editor or two to intercede.  Or perhaps I'm missing something about the nature of publishing?

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling??
qassandra

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 9:45:32 PM »

Run a Google Images search for Lord Byron, and then tell me this is a contemporary phenomenon. ;)
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 6:46:53 PM »

KG, I keep waiting for you to provide some evidence/links.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
emily_chronicle

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »

I deeply admire Lord Byron, sure the face profile to the left/write can be a little repetitive but bear in mind what kind of poet this man was.. '' I love not man the less, but nature more'' .. His romantic poetry generally touches my heart.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: