• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 5:09:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wankiness?  (Read 23751 times)
treehugger1
The unhasty, Entish
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: December 05, 2011, 11:22:33 AM »

Today, I've been getting the following error message most of the times I've tried to login:

": Table 'circulation.smf_members' doesn't exist
/home/chronicle-wcm/prod/cmf/business/applications/site5/forums/Sources/Load.php
390"

What is up with that?

Not a member of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement. May we live long and not die out.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:33:29 AM »

I got it this morning. I am just now able to get in. I sent some messages to forumites outside the CHE. Maybe they contacted the mods.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:44:08 AM »

Thanks to Marigolds for notifying the mods and getting me back in.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
scotia

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:58:29 AM »

I got the same message when I tried to preview a post. After a couple of minutes occasionally hitting the refresh button I got back to the reply screen, still logged in but with my post no longer there.
slinger
Quite Un-

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:32:50 PM »

I am getting the same message periodically when trying to access any part of the chronicle site in a new browser, but once I'm in, I don't see it again.

Several threads on the fora could be solved by just Being A Damn Grownup.
That is it, Slinger, you're banned!
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 1:47:19 PM »

Hi folks,

We were experiencing a database slowdown this morning, but I'm told the issue has been resolved. Please let me know, however, if you continue to have problems.

Best wishes,

helpful

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 1:58:15 PM »

Thanks. Can you translate the error message into plain English, so next time we get such a message we can understand what it means? Thanks.
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 2:17:37 PM »

It means "you can't access the forums now."

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
bcohlan1

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 3:02:24 PM »

Damn, I was hoping for at least a few innuendos. You disappoint me, wankiness thread.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
wegie
Unemployed & unemployable

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 9:37:47 AM »

Thanks. Can you translate the error message into plain English, so next time we get such a message we can understand what it means? Thanks.

It's just a good old-fashioned "table can't be found" error. Somebody had either changed the load page module to look for a table that didn't exist (or hadn't yet been renamed) or had changed the name of a table in the database so that the module was looking for the old name of the table.

I once made a mistake like that the day before I left to go to the US for a week. Ended up fixing the damn interface for a database in Oxford from a business centre at a hotel in NYC. Oops!
helpful

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »

This is not the only instance of an error message only meaning something to those who know, and leaving others in the dark. Computers can do many things.  It should be fairly easy to have a computer  (or the software the server runs. As I am not IT language savvy, I don't know where this function would reside). automatically translate an error message into plain English for the average website user rather than giving the user gobbledygook. I suggest the Chronicle IT department investigate and try and do so.
madhatter
We proudly present the fora's Least
Member-Moderator

Just killing time

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 12:51:26 PM »

This is not the only instance of an error message only meaning something to those who know, and leaving others in the dark. Computers can do many things.  It should be fairly easy to have a computer  (or the software the server runs. As I am not IT language savvy, I don't know where this function would reside). automatically translate an error message into plain English for the average website user rather than giving the user gobbledygook. I suggest the Chronicle IT department investigate and try and do so.

I'm sure that the plain English meaning of the error is something like "Hey, I tried to move this value from one stack to another, but the checksum didn't match, so I'm totally at sea. Your move, dude."

Or "I think a garbage character accidentally got saved in your table file, so I can't open the index of thread names. I'm stuck, dude."

That's English, but of no use to you at all.

"I may be an evil scientist, but it doesn't take a degree purchased from the Internet with your ex-wife's money to know how special and important you are to me." -- Dr. Doofenschmirtz
helpful

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »

I'm sure that the plain English meaning of the error is something like "Hey, I tried to move this value from one stack to another, but the checksum didn't match, so I'm totally at sea. Your move, dude."

Or "I think a garbage character accidentally got saved in your table file, so I can't open the index of thread names. I'm stuck, dude."

That's English, but of no use to you at all.
Actually the plain English meaning would be something like "users of this website can not access it due to a error on the server. Please check back later. We are working on this problem". Then the average user wouldn't think it was a problem with their own browser or their internet provider.

Microsoft used to have this same problem. Computers would say Error 404 or whatever and never explain what it means or whether the user is responsible for this error or whether it is an error on the site itself, or whatever.
totoro
Friendly Neighborhood Troll and

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 7:32:32 AM »

What's with the title of this thread?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: