• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:24:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sabbatical in the Gulf  (Read 11906 times)
azv105

« on: November 07, 2011, 8:21:08 PM »

Hello All,
I am trying to get sabbatical leave some time in the next few years. I am interested in working in the gulf as I need to save some money. My questions:

1. I am a tenure track in a SLAC teaching only undergraduates. I do research with undergraduates, and publish in reasonably good journals (though not top notch). Do I stand a chance to work at a research oriented University in the gulf? (My field is physical sciences/ engineering).

2. How and Who should I approach to find a sabbatical position? I am mostly interested in Kuwait as I have some relatives there (they are not academic and they don't know anything about Universities).

3. If I apply to the general pool (without contacting any prof there), is there any probability they will consider me? When I was doing my Ph.D not so long ago in a highly reputed R1 in the US, one of the representatives from KFUPM visited our place and encouraged us to apply. I don't know if I should contact the same people now.

4. How easy or how hard is it to find a position there (with my credentials)? I need to know this so that I can plan the timeline of my finding a position + applying for sabbatical.

5. Is there anywhere I can find a range of approximate salaries for different countries/ different Universities?

Thank you.
eddean

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 9:59:24 PM »

The institutions are teaching schools. Think community college load and you will have an idea of what is expected. They would not know what to do with you if you have any research in mind
azv105

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 1:38:56 PM »

Thank you eddean.

Ok, do you think I have a chance trying to teach in the Gulf? How do I apply? Just through the common pool, or is there any other way?
eddean

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 9:46:53 PM »

In the UAE the contract is normally for 3 years. I do not know what it is in other Gulf states.  If you tell them you plan to leave after 1 then that could be a problem. Unless you have a contact, then HR is the only entry. Avoid HCT and UAEU in the UAE
azv105

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 9:18:09 PM »

Thanks, Eddean. Please keep more ideas coming.
transce

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 11:45:45 PM »

I need to know more about this as well. Any other suggestions anyone?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: