• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:04:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: American University in Bosnia  (Read 48804 times)
crkens

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2011, 2:52:45 AM »

Finally we concur!  Your last line is hilarious, and also so very true.
drmau

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2011, 9:14:01 AM »

I found having a low moral character and being insane to be necessary AUBiH survival tools. A certain professor I commuted with discovered we both spoke fluent Spanish; and we would say stuff, to the chagrin of the allegedly non English speaking driver/spy. Got to the point where a certain Academic Coordinator felt compelled to speak to me about using AUBiH time to practice my language skills.
elainejessops

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »

Why didn't you leave as soon as you realized all the nasty stuff you are talking about right now?
drmau

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2012, 6:38:09 AM »

I left as soon as I feasibly could. I did not leave two weeks into my first term, when eau de rat first twitched my nostrils, because it would negatively impact the students, my fellow professors, and moi. I toughed it out a year, and was not fired, but quit, giving one term's notice, because I have never broken a contract in my life.
Apparently, AUBiH has lost its affiliation with SUNY, so there is no real reason students should pay thousands of Euros for what may not even pass as a Bosnian degree.
zulgabe

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »

I am considering applying for a senior leadership position at the American University of Bosnia and Herzogovina. I have previous experience of turning a small/medium size university around. Anybody has any advice?
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »

Have you perhaps read this thread?

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
promovenda
Just thrilled to be a

Lost in the library

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 9:01:13 AM »

more warts on an already-very-warty thread.

"You're a wonderful bartender, Promovenda.  The hamster bestows one of his special nibbles on your ear."
crkens

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2012, 2:33:37 PM »

It would be better to apply for a senior leadership position in North Korea.  They also have a lot of warts there.
mcmchugh99

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2013, 12:02:20 AM »

Hi gang,

Michael McHugh here.  I worked at AUBH for one semester, although at that time it only had operations in Tuzla and Sarajevo.  I had to commute down to Sarajevo once a week, while I taught three history classes in Tuzla.

I had just left Turkey after teaching for a semester in an English program at Bilgi University that I did not care for, and was basically talked into coming to Bosnia by someone I had known there in Istanbul--who had also quit after one semester.  It was against my better judgment to go since I had already been teaching overseas for about twelve years and had a number of unpleasant experiences.   Basically, I was burned out on all of it by that point.

Well, I went to Bosnia in the fall of 2008, and lo and behold I found out that my contact had just quit his job as Academic Director after a dispute with the owner.  Even at that time he was saying that the students were not going to get their SUNY Canton diplomas, and he was still telling the students about all the potential problems via email.

Anyway, I decided that I'd had seen this same movie many times before, in many places, and I was tired of it.  I told the owner I was only going to stick around for a semester and left after I turned in my grades.  There was a new group of people coming in at that time, and I guess they didn't turn out to be happy campers either.

And so it goes.

As for me, I decided that I was getting out of the teaching game altogether, and just went to Belize and then to Argentina before finally ending up semiretired here in St. Petersburg, Florida.  I think my instincts were very sound.  I just got out while the getting was good, and it indeed sounds like the situation in Bosnia has just been going downhill.

Have fun out there,

Mike McHugh, PhD, former history professor.
mcmchugh99

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2013, 12:49:40 AM »

I will say this for Denis, that he always paid me on time and what was promised and I never had any problems on that score.

In any case, I pretty much told him right at the outset that I would not be staying longer than a semester, given that the Academic Director who hired me had quit just before I arrived and I was basically fed up with all these hassles of overseas teaching.

I fulfilled my obligations for that semester and left, and have never returned to teaching since.
drmau

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 2:03:08 AM »

Brain Amaral, in Watertown Daily Times Dec 16 has a great article about AUBiH, and SuNY's complicity in a gigantic swindle..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: