• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:50:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a good retirement gift  (Read 31934 times)
hopepage

« on: May 06, 2011, 8:43:41 PM »

One of the senior professors from my department is retiring. This time I want to give something individual rather than participate in a group gift, and am wondering what would be a good gift. Any ideas or advice will be much appreciated.
questor1
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 3:37:22 PM »

I've seen everything from a new car in the school colors (for a very high up) to gag gifts to rocking chairs.
the best gifts usually come from a place the person usually shops at like a gardening or hobby store. I've also noticed a difference between disciplines as far as gifts and retirement parties go. The rocking chair went to someone who asked for one and that was a group gift and she was delighted. Best to get some hints rather than guessing, lately it has been a lot of gift certificates which are useful but seem a bit cold. I'll be interested to read the other answers. Mainly your presence and good will are the most appreciated.
brixton

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »

For a retiring English prof, we gave him  gift card (with a significant balance) to the local bookstore.  This sounds counter-intuitive.  English profs have way to many books.  But the reasoning was, his current books are all those he's read and taught.   Newly retired, he could start new interests.  And clearly as a lit prof, new interests can only be cultivated through books.  He seemed pleased.  I like gifts that don't emphasize retirement as rotting on the porch, but instead retirement as a new phase in life.
delta_geek

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »

One of the senior professors from my department is retiring. This time I want to give something individual rather than participate in a group gift, and am wondering what would be a good gift. Any ideas or advice will be much appreciated.

My advice would be to find out what the colleague plans to do in retirement.  If they are selling everything to move across the country, a very small or non-tangible gift like a gift card might be preferable.  A travel gadget if they plan to take a long trip.  If they are planning to work on their garden, something related to that.  Etc. 

"Sorry, I can't do that. I have to give my goldfish a bath." -Inspired by Kiana
lizzy
a person who likes to believe that what comes around goes around and a

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 7:47:34 PM »

I don't think a gift card has to be cold, especially if it helps the recipient do something s/he wants to do. Include in a thoughtful card with a message that shows you're hoping s/he enjoys a fulfilling retirement.

I get cranky in the evenings.
blood_sweat_tears

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 7:09:36 PM »

A gift card is probably most practical.

I remember one faculty member retiring who no one liked and no one respected. Years ago as a junior faculty member, I ended up wrapping the gift with a colleague (can't even remember what the gift was). We taped around every seam so when the retiring prof had to open it in front of everyone, she was fumbling around and couldn't do it. For the first time in everyone's lives, they watched her flustered and flailing away. Cheap thrill! The moral of the story is be nice to everyone, including junior faculty or you could find yourself attacked by the weapons of the weak!
ursula
Fooled everyone into thinking I'm a

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 9:39:37 AM »

I don't think a gift card has to be cold, especially if it helps the recipient do something s/he wants to do. Include in a thoughtful card with a message that shows you're hoping s/he enjoys a fulfilling retirement.

Seconding this.  A gift card from a store that specializes in whatever the person's hobby is can never be wrong.

"Love is better than anger.  Hope is better than fear.  Optimism is better than despair."
Jack Layton, 1950-2011
drdata

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 1:16:04 PM »

As one within spitting distance of Der Tag (literally weeks) a good bottle of Scotch would be appreciated :)
dr_alcott

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 1:42:31 PM »

For a colleague who likes to garden, we're thinking of a gift card to a nice nursery. For others, we have gotten subscriptions to local theaters or symphonies.

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: