• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 11:53:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: And All Those Diplomas?  (Read 39424 times)
oldphilprof

« on: December 21, 2010, 10:32:19 AM »

Silly Question Time Perhaps:  For those who have or are about to retire, what do you plan to do with all those framed diplomas?  Mine currently hang in my office (I'm not yet retired) because this is SOP at my institution, but I can't imagine hanging them in my home.  Leave them for my heirs?  Burn them?  Any ideas or fantasies are welcome.
michigander

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 2:57:39 PM »

I liberated mine from their frames so that I could use the frames for other things, and I put the diplomas in my "documents" file folder.  Now that (much to my surprise) I'm back at work, my final diploma is back in its frame because it's de rigueur for me to have it hanging in my new office.
prytania3
Distinguished Senior Member

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 4:45:30 AM »

Definitely keep them.

I have my grandmother's high school diploma framed and hanging. She graduated in 1916, and it was something for a woman to have her high school diploma back then.

Perhaps you can store them without the frames, but your progeny may very well treasure them.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
totoro
Friendly Neighborhood Troll and

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 8:19:34 AM »

I thought only medical doctors and the like hang up their diplomas to prove their not quacks. I lost my undergrad diploma in one of my international moves. I've only ever used the PhD one since I got the doctorate (for immigration purposes).
secundem_artem
Stone cold humanist and finally a

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 1:30:30 PM »

I thought only medical doctors and the like hang up their diplomas to prove their not quacks. I lost my undergrad diploma in one of my international moves. I've only ever used the PhD one since I got the doctorate (for immigration purposes).

I went the other route and have an "I love me wall" in my office.  Vainly trying to impress fresh peep advisees is one of my few pleasures.  Sad, isn't it?

OP - I'd keep them and let your heirs and successors figure out what to do with them when the day comes.

In my opinion, Secundem_artem is precisely correct. 

I think secundem_artem, rather, has hit the nail on the head.
glowdart
that's a thing that I keep in the back of my head

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 1:56:45 PM »

I have my grandmother's high school diploma framed and hanging. She graduated in 1916, and it was something for a woman to have her high school diploma back then.

That's cool, Pry!  (And, if I may say so, from one woman with spunky relatives who bucked trends to another, an insight into your family's spunkiness.)

Definitely save them - the future generations will love to have them. 

Our campus is also a diplomas on the wall kind of place. 
kiwanda

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:18:18 AM »

Our campus is also a diplomas on the wall kind of place. 

Interesting how this varies; on my campus only professional staff (counselors, accountants, etc.) post their diplomas. I've never seen one in a faculty office at all.

All of ours are in a box at home, which we've moved around the country with us and never unpacked. During the last move my father found it and said "what kind of people have an entire box of diplomas?"  I've thought about hanging them in our basement bathroom or something but we'd need a lot of frames to pull it off.  Were I the OP I'd probably hang my highest degree in my library/office at home, just for kicks (though the bathroom decorating scheme is still tempting).
oldphilprof

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 1:47:18 PM »

" I've thought about hanging them in our basement bathroom or something but we'd need a lot of frames to pull it off."  If just occurred to me that, upon retirement and relocation, if we're reasonably sure we won't be moving again, perhaps I could decoupage them on the guest-bathroom wall.  It would give people something to read.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: