• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 8:57:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When to make various changes after retiring  (Read 27555 times)
michigander

« on: October 08, 2010, 3:53:27 PM »

Is anyone aware of any general guidelines for how long to retain various kinds of records kept at home for backup purposes after retiring?  The kinds of things I'm thinking about are copies of memos and email messages; copies of class lists and grades assigned; copies of letters of recommendation sent; copies of employee handbooks, annual letters of appointment, student evaluations of teaching, and so forth.  Obviously, anything kept for tax purposes should be retained for at least six years and anything kept in case of litigation should be kept for at least three years.  But most of what we keep isn't for those purposes.

Is there any difference (other than cost) between active and retiree memberships in professional associations?  Is there a recommended time for changing status or is it just the next membership renewal date?

For those who have had counseling, advising, medical, or administrative responsibilities how long should one wait before letting professional liability insurance lapse?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 3:54:42 PM by michigander » Logged
charlesr

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 4:29:04 PM »

I would leave anything related to grades at school and let the department deal with it.
ursula
Fooled everyone into thinking I'm a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 7:32:33 PM »

I would leave anything related to grades at school and let the department deal with it.

Second this motion.  Once I've shaken the dust of this place from my feet, I never want to hear from any of them again.

"Love is better than anger.  Hope is better than fear.  Optimism is better than despair."
Jack Layton, 1950-2011
seniorscholar
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 2:47:40 PM »

Is there any difference (other than cost) between active and retiree memberships in professional associations?  Is there a recommended time for changing status or is it just the next membership renewal date?

MLA has lifetime free membership for retirees who have been paid members for 20 or 30 years (I forget which), and a very much reduced fee to attend the annual convention.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: