• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:55:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 381
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you learn today?  (Read 549175 times)
inthelab
Where beloved molecules abide
Distinguished Senior Member

Who knew?

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 8:59:30 AM »

I learned that one of my students is also an "exotic dancer" at a local strip club.  She got arrested for soliciting an undercover cop and showed up in the police blotter in the paper this morning. Should that count as an excused absence?
Only if she's any good.  OK, end of joke.

I learned that my cousin by marriage, Catherine Zeta-Jones will appear on Broadway next month with Angela Lansbury.  And that tickets for Labspouse and me to see her will run us in the neighborhood of $300.

mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 10:20:54 AM »

I learned that one of my students is also an "exotic dancer" at a local strip club.  She got arrested for soliciting an undercover cop and showed up in the police blotter in the paper this morning. Should that count as an excused absence?

I learned that my cousin by marriage, Catherine Zeta-Jones will appear on Broadway next month with Angela Lansbury.  And that tickets for Labspouse and me to see her will run us in the neighborhood of $300.

Pull the family strings and see if she'll comp them.

I learned that I speak German well and am easy to lip read when doing so.  At least that's what some folks from Germany told me after our concert where I sang two pieces in German.  I've been told that by English and French speakers before, but German?  I've never studied German; I don't speak it at all.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 3:41:04 PM »

I learned that Porsche ignitions are on the left side of the steering wheel to help drivers at Le Mans start faster - apparently the races used to start with the drivers outside the car, so being able to turn the ignition key and get into gear with either hand gave drivers and advantage.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
nerdasaurus

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 5:48:14 PM »

I learned that my students have never heard of U2.

Don't make me get the flying monkeys!
40isthenew30

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 9:03:41 PM »

I learned that my students have never heard of U2.

This is SAD.
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 9:59:00 PM »

And I learned today that Inthelab is related to Kirk Douglas.  On the Danielovitch or the Sanglel side?

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
40isthenew30

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 10:51:05 PM »

inthelab, if CZJ is your cousin by marriage, then does this mean that Michael Douglas is your COUSIN?

P.S. Superman from Smallville is related to me by marriage. Now, aren't you all jealous?
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 11:02:40 PM »

I learned where I'd put a greeting card that I bought a week ago and planned to send.  I also learned that this last batch of quizzes is much easier to grade than the last.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 11:21:03 PM »

Flu shots hurt. Not so much in the actual administration of the shot, but man! my arm really freaking hurts, and the shot was at noon today.

Now that I'm thinking about it, last year's flu shot hurt me for days. That was the first time that ever happened; I fear this year will be a repeat performance.

VP

frogfactory
Totally Metal

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 11:23:57 PM »

Flu shots hurt. Not so much in the actual administration of the shot, but man! my arm really freaking hurts, and the shot was at noon today.

Now that I'm thinking about it, last year's flu shot hurt me for days. That was the first time that ever happened; I fear this year will be a repeat performance.

VP

Colleague who got a 'flu shot is off work with 'flu-like symptoms, just as I predicted. This is why I don't bother with the shots.  I might be prepared to suffer for the H1N1 shot; we'll see.

At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to masturbate in the bathroom.
astronomygal
Tough but fair

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 11:31:15 PM »

P.S. Superman from Smallville is related to me by marriage. Now, aren't you all jealous?
I *am* jealous.

I learned that if I bring home even the easiest of assignments to grade, I still don't do it.

"If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy." - Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 11:36:50 PM »

I learned that our business office, when faced with a late charge on an invoice that they forgot to pay, will happily dip into my incentive account to cover the shortage.

I also know what they mean when they say "We really don't have a process for that."

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
carebearstare
Pinging

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 11:41:29 PM »

I learned that one of my colleagues, whom I have yet to interact with yet, is by all accounts mercilessly cruel.

Well, some posters were being naughty here.
lotsoquestions

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 11:42:12 PM »

I learned that 'regalia' is really expensive.  Did you all buy or do you rent?
40isthenew30

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 11:50:28 PM »

a) I *am* jealous.

b) I learned that if I bring home even the easiest of assignments to grade, I still don't do it.

a) No need to be jealous. I'll never meet him. I just see him in pictures on my relative's refrigerator.

b) Ditto, for sure. Why do we EVEN bring it home?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 381
  Print  

Jump to: