• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 7:19:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Being interviewed last?  (Read 16255 times)
oldfullprof
Ridiculous
Distinguished Senior Member

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 4:29:59 AM »

The department secretary determines the order.  She (typically she) starts calling and grabs the candidates according to their availability.  Often the date depends on whether the dean is available also.  The order means nothing in terms of success.

Taste o' the Sixties
scion

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »

For my upcoming interview the SCC contacted me by email and provided only one block of time for the visit. Luckily, that time worked for me.  As it turns out, I will be in the middle slot. It seems no one ever debates the pros and cons of being in the middle.
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 2:02:45 PM »

For my upcoming interview the SCC contacted me by email and provided only one block of time for the visit. Luckily, that time worked for me.  As it turns out, I will be in the middle slot. It seems no one ever debates the pros and cons of being in the middle.

I was in the middle for the job I now hold. It worked out okay for me. :)

msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 2:48:14 PM »

I was in the middle for the job I now hold. It worked out okay for me. :)

Yup--I was the middle slot for the new position I will move into this fall.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
doctorcat

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 8:00:00 PM »

Yikes! I am the first for an on-campus two-day interview. I wanted to be the last, but got stuck being the first. I guess I'll have to set a very high standard or I'm out!

Best of luck to you on your interview - so long as we're not interviewing at the same place that is... Hehehe...
westcoastgirl

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 8:40:24 PM »

Order is not important, in general, as all candidates are typically 'in the running'. Some say that going first means that you have to set the bar for the others, and if there is a long time between first and last, the memory of your brilliant performance may fade. Others posit that going last allows you to capitalize on the learning curve experienced by the SC.

Bottom line, just go whenever you can, and as as Alexy Brodovitch would say, "Be brilliant."

This was quite true for the committee a friend just served on. After the first candidate visited, they raved and raved about him. Then the second candidate came and they were equally impressed by her. She held a distinct advantage because she was fresh in their minds. This university video-taped the job talks and uploaded them. The SC was encouraged to view them once again before making the final decision. I know this is purely anecdotal, but I think there might be an advantage to being last. The SC has hit a stride and the presentations/time spent is fresh in their mind.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
doctorcat

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 3:05:21 AM »

Okay, I used the search function "interview order" and found this former thread - which has lots of funny and encouraging words of wisdom. I'm not sure how to link to it, but if you try the search function I'm sure you'll find it.

Does interview order matter? Q Halo Effect?

systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 4:23:09 AM »

Here you are.  Hope this helps.

http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,55680.0.html

mazmazam

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »

I got four on-campus interviews this season. Although my last name starts with A, believe it or not I was the last person in all of those interviews. The results:

First Interview: The interview process was just a joke. They wanted to hire their own visiting assistant professor who has been teaching there full time for the last 3-4 years ago. I pretty much realized that when I was doing my own research/spying on their department after I received a phone interview offer. They were also very unprofessional in conducting interviewing steps: in most of the meetings with faculty members, they were telling unrelated stories without professionally asking me about my goals, teaching style, future research goals, etc. RESULT: Obviously I didn't get the job.

Second Interview: An offer was extended to me.

Third Interview:  An offer was extended to me.

Fourth Interview: No luck, but I guess I was their 2nd (backup) choice, from the sources that I had there.

In my case, I think being the last person to interview could be a fairly good sign.
thehighking

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52:56 AM »

I honestly think that going last is a big advantage *if* all other things are equal...i.e., if candidate A and B are fairly equal in terms of ability and fit, then the one that went last will usually get the job.

This has been my experience and I don't know if it's true across the board, but I've seen it happen often enough that I would consider going last an advantage.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: