• July 27, 2016
July 27, 2016, 7:36:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96]
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn State scandal  (Read 227076 times)
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

One step at a time

« Reply #1425 on: June 11, 2016, 12:39:56 pm »

Somewhat off-topic, but I'm having a hard time getting past the photo of Rachelle Thompson talking to the gymnast getting ready to perform on the balance beam. I don't think I've ever seen a coach wearing high heels at a meet, much less standing on one of those rather expensive gymnastic mats in them.

Her bio doesn't seem to indicate any formal training in anything related to sports or coaching. Her husband, at least, had a concentration in PE as part of his BA in education (no such concentration is noted for her) and also has a MSc in biomechanics. But, he also seems to be the reason she got a staff coaching job to begin with--she was a choreographer and volunteer coach everywhere they went until he became the head coach at Auburn and added her to the coaching staff. It does make me wonder just how qualified she really is for her job, but the teams have done well, so I suppose no one really cares.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
tenured_feminist

« Reply #1426 on: June 11, 2016, 3:10:40 pm »

She's a former NCAA gymnast. That isn't all that unusual.

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #1427 on: June 12, 2016, 10:34:26 am »

Somewhat off-topic, but I'm having a hard time getting past the photo of Rachelle Thompson talking to the gymnast getting ready to perform on the balance beam. I don't think I've ever seen a coach wearing high heels at a meet, much less standing on one of those rather expensive gymnastic mats in them.

The many time award winning gymnastics coach at Bama was never seen in anything but high heels at meets...

Love your neighbor.

Your new cephaloverlord.
ALL HAIL TO THE OCTO!!!

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #1428 on: July 12, 2016, 11:44:21 am »

Penn State's insurer tries to void university's liability policy given that Paterno and other staff were informed of sex crimes as early as 1976:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/sports/ncaafootball/joe-paterno-jerry-sandusky-sex-abuse-penn-state-1976-court-documents.html.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
magnemite
no one of consequence, and a

« Reply #1429 on: July 12, 2016, 11:47:19 am »

Penn State's insurer tries to void university's liability policy given that Paterno and other staff were informed of sex crimes as early as 1976:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/sports/ncaafootball/joe-paterno-jerry-sandusky-sex-abuse-penn-state-1976-court-documents.html.

JoePa seems to have been the reigning king of the land of DeNiel, and I am rooting for the weasel insurance company at this time.

may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome
crowie

« Reply #1430 on: July 15, 2016, 11:02:09 am »

Informed, in 1976, by the child himself. From the NY Times story:

The accuser said that he cried out when Mr. Sandusky penetrated him with a finger, a cry loud enough for other campers to hear, and that he later reported Mr. Sandusky’s inappropriate behavior to adults at the camp. The next day, the accuser said, he sought out Mr. Paterno and described the encounter in the hallway of a football office building as Mr. Paterno was on his way to a meeting.

“Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, I don’t want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?” a lawyer for the insurer asked the accuser, according to the deposition.

“Specifically, yes,” the man replied.

Another victim, after reporting being assault by Sandusky to a staff member of Nittany House, a male-only home for troubled youth, was threatened with juvenile prison unless he wrote an apology letter to Sandusky:

While Sandusky and the other man left, Doe was informed by Gordon he would have to pen an apology letter to the pair for “telling lies,” and that his time at the Nittany House was likely coming to an end. As a homeless youth, Doe knew the unnamed alternative option.

A: ...the threat all along was that if you had to get removed from Nittany House, you got put into Centre County Youth Detention until they figured out what to do with you after that, send me to another group home.

Q: Which is a more serious—

A: It’s a prison for juveniles.

He avoided writing the apology by, basically, running away from the home:

Declaring himself done with the ordeal, Doe walked to a closet in the house, grabbed a coat and “just hauled ass,” sprinting out and away from the house at 9 a.m. He was eventually caught and placed in another facility, absolving him of Gordon’s apology letter requirement.

Q: So at no point did you write the apology letter?

A: No.

Q: —that Mr. Gordon described?

A: No. But the minute I walked out of that door, their responsibility was to notify the police, and as far as they were concerned, I’m sure I was not their problem anymore.

Sandusky's M.O. was to victimize the most vulnerable young men in his community. And he was protected, over and over again, by those who were charged with ensuring their welfare.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:03:21 am by crowie » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96]
  Print  

Jump to: