• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:40:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nihil Nimus book  (Read 19447 times)
OP
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 3:30:45 PM »

The institution where I work does not have that kind of agreement.  Things are scheduled all days of the week (even Sundays) and people in my department are prone to ongoing guilt trips about taking time to do research.

Just when you think you have blocked off one day a week to work, or even 30 minutes per day, someone calls a meeting for 5 days straight at 7:30 a.m. because that is the only time everyone is available.

I have a serious (but not terminal) illness that requires me to take several precautions about diet and rest, and those 7:30 a.m. meetings are a killer, especially when I have a class the meets until 9:00 p.m. tow nights per week.

Likewise, those "semi-required" gatherings on Saturday or Sunday evenings are a killer, too.
Dr Z
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 3:54:18 PM »

I'd go with the vertical tiered file idea. I too have a smal work space at home and because I commute quite a distance to my university, I do most of my research at home. My home office (it is actually supposed to be breakfast nook) has become a sea of stacks of papers from the various projects I'm working on. I always manage to find what I'm looking for, but sometimes it takes a while.

So one of my summer projects is to create a file system in what little space I have.

But if we keep being productive, we will probably end up like senior scholar. All the successful senior people I know (including my father) have the most cluttered offices/home space etc I've ever seen. So I sort of look at all the  piles of paper as a sign of productively...as long as those piles are mine.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: