name calling

(1/6) > >>

mouseprof:
I can't believe this hasn't been asked before, but I couldn't find anything on this subject using the search function.  At the risk of sounding like a whiney baby. .. what do you do if a student swears at you or calls you names? I'm sure I'm not the first and definitely won't be the last, nor am I terribly bothered by the situation... more curious than anything. For what it is worth,  this did not happen in class and I'm pretty sure the student didn't know I was faculty.

yemaya:
I teach at a couple of different schools, which would treat such an incident differently.

State U: For a first offense, the student would, at a minimum, be hauled into the dean's office for a chat about their behavior, and could potentially face removal from the course.  The consequences for subsequent offenses (depending on number and degree) range from suspension to expulsion (rare).

At my non-selective private u, the student would receive a written warning.  The second offense would be a removal from the course.  I do know that students have been kicked out for multiple offenses.

mystictechgal:
I'm not sure, but if it didn't happen in class, and the student didn't know you were faculty, I'm not sure there's anything to be done. I can, though, envision exceptions to that, at least on my campus--depending upon where it was said, and what name they called you.

Actually, if it didn't happen in class, yet the name rose to the level that something could/would/might be done, whether or not you were faculty--and whether or not they knew that--wouldn't factor much into it. Faculty rank doesn't give you any more of a right to civility than anyone else.

Can you provide a little more context?

What would you like to do/have done?

mountainguy:
Outside of a class or office hours, I don't think much would happen at my university. If it happened in class, the student would probably get summoned to the conduct office.

mouseprof:
I don't want anything to be done but I'm just wondering what you would have said to the student, if anything.  The whole thing is silly really. This was a a rowdy student event and I was given the unenviable task of preventing students from entering an area where they wanted to congrigate so they could drink during said event.  I tend to be non-confrontational and a bit of a push over so I'm trying to change that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page