Award etiquette

(1/2) > >>

nancybrew:
I am a student who nominated my professor for a university award.  I learned yesterday that my professor won the award and in the email, it was mentioned that I was invited to attend the ceremony where it will be conferred.  This is a small award ceremony that is dedicated only to the conferring of this award, which is given annually to multiple faculty, TAs and other teaching staff at the school like librarians.

I don't think my professor knows it was me who nominated her for the award.  Would it be weird for me to show up to the ceremony?  Should I just send an email of congratulations or would that be like asking for recognition for having nominated her?  Sorry if this is a weird question, I am not sure what to do here though.

citrine:
Quote from: nancybrew on April 18, 2013,  1:37:28 PM

I am a student who nominated my professor for a university award.  I learned yesterday that my professor won the award and in the email, it was mentioned that I was invited to attend the ceremony where it will be conferred.  This is a small award ceremony that is dedicated only to the conferring of this award, which is given annually to multiple faculty, TAs and other teaching staff at the school like librarians.

I don't think my professor knows it was me who nominated her for the award.  Would it be weird for me to show up to the ceremony?  Should I just send an email of congratulations or would that be like asking for recognition for having nominated her?  Sorry if this is a weird question, I am not sure what to do here though.

If you were invited to the ceremony, then by all means attend! If you cannot attend, it would be perfectly appropriate to send her a congratulatory email. The awards committee might tell her who nominated her. If they don't, you can certainly congratulate her in person or via email without mentioning that you were the one who nominated her, as I imagine the winners will be public knowledge.

nancybrew:
Quote from: citrine on April 18, 2013,  1:40:54 PM

Quote from: nancybrew on April 18, 2013,  1:37:28 PM

If you were invited to the ceremony, then by all means attend! If you cannot attend, it would be perfectly appropriate to send her a congratulatory email. The awards committee might tell her who nominated her. If they don't, you can certainly congratulate her in person or via email without mentioning that you were the one who nominated her, as I imagine the winners will be public knowledge.

Thank you, that makes me feel better!  I just don't want it to come across like I want praise for nominating her, but I want her to know I'm happy for her.

marigolds:
You should totally go.

And I LOVE your username!

krisanthe:
Hi Nancybrew.  Go to the ceremony!  It will be fun and there will be lots of yummy food.

Your invite isn't about praising you for nominating her.  It's to allow you to be part of an event that is recognizing her.   I've been to similar events as the nominator and had a great time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page