That darn random capitalization again!

(1/9) > >>

hstrytool:
Every time I grade papers (and I have mentioned this before) I find the students capitalize the strangest things.  Nearly all of them do it.  It takes me much longer to grade because I am constantly having to explain why words in the middle of the sentence should not be capitalized.  Doesn't anyone understand proper nouns anymore?  Have any of you noticed this as well?  I will get sentences like:

"In Ancient Egypt there were many Gods and Goddesses."  "In the past it was a Matriarchal Society."  "The Kings and Queens were very powerful."

There is also a sad misunderstanding of "its" and "it's," and confusion over possessive and plural such as "goddess's" and "goddesses."    Example:  "There were many goddess's."

I could get past a few, but I am noticing it in almost every paper I grade this semester.  I make comments to explain why one should be used over the other and the next paper they do the very same thing again. 

It boggles the mind!  I find myself almost laughing at how randomly it is used in papers.  I mentioned it in class and they laughed?!?!?

genxsocprof:
Ugh.  Yes.  It's getting worse.  They capitalize things that don't need capitalizing and then don't capitalize things that do need it.  Commas, apostrophes, semicolons, and colons are all problematic for many students. 

frogfactory:
German students?

marigolds:
It's very Victorian.

Baleful used to do it here. It always made me giggle.

euro_ir_nerd:
Quote from: frogfactory on March 01, 2013, 10:09:24 AM

German students?

If that's the case then they are doing it wrong. In German, only the nouns are capitalized.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page