• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:44:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dean College in Franklin, MA  (Read 1745 times)
wd813

« on: April 03, 2012, 6:27:13 PM »

Wondering if anyone has information about the college and/or town?  I searched, but didn't find anything.  The location seems a bit ideal (for me), but expensive.  Also, I can't find anything really specific related to faculty (handbook, etc.) on the website.

Thanks for any information/comments.

systeme_d_
Distinguished Senior Member

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 8:03:55 PM »

I grew up in the area, and I know Milford/Franklin area pretty well.

I googled, and Dean College is the new version of the old Dean Academy!  I knew it became a CC in the 1990s, but I was surprised to learn that it now offers the BA in a few fields as well as the AA.

Anyway, I can't tell you anything about faculty experiences there, but if you have any questions about the area, let me know.  Feel free to PM.

zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 8:11:45 AM »

I attended a conference that was hosted there a few years ago.  Dean is basically a private residential CC, in a state where the public CCs are all (or most) commuter schools.  I got the sense from talking to the faculty that the school was focused on giving students with the potential to do OK in college a chance to get it together, then continue to a regular four year college.  I suspect the introduction of bachelor's programs is, in part, owing to the expansion of public CCs in Mass.  For what it's worth, I got good vibes from the place.

Eastern Mass is expensive because there are a lot of things that people want in a place to live, which is usually the reason places are expensive.

Print  

Jump to: