• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:23:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is your institution a Great College to Work For this year?  (Read 14996 times)
fiona
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 2:01:15 AM »

If this list is accurate, every place where I ever worked or attended sucks.

I didn't feel that way then or now, but what do I know?

The Fiona

The Fiona or Them FionŠ or Fiona the Sublime

Professor of Thread Killing, Fiork University
sciencephd

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 2:33:20 AM »

This is meaningless because quality of environment occurs at the department level for faculty, not at the university level, or college as they call it here.

I just hate it that I constantly have to like everyone and everything. -- moonstone

O, what a hateful feminist concoction!
Jews, communists, "lesbians", feminists and marihuana addicts  --Pyshnov
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 7:55:54 AM »

As an old hand at survey research, I'd want to see the list of colleges that actually submitted data before evaluating how representative the results are.

This CHE report has been discussed before. Institutions that want to be included are invited by CHE to submit numbers, and then the institutions show up in the report. The institutions then use the CHE report to market themselves.

It's like Who's Who.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
lotsoquestions

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 11:06:09 AM »

I always enjoy the situations where the college plasters this award all over its website, and you actually look up the results and it turns out they have great landscaping, or health insurance, or something -- but if you actually talk to the faculty or administrators, they'll tell you that this doesn't even begin to make up for the fact that they are underpaid; overworked; subject to the whims of the higher ups; run almost entirely by adjuncts; forced to put up with viciously long commutes, etc. etc. etc.  Wondering how many schools do well in one of the categories, but represent it as being therefore a 'great place to work'.
gippster

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 10:04:59 AM »

I and many other employees at the University of Notre Dame would like to know just who you are polling to come up with this list of "Great Colleges to Work For"?    You certainly have not polled the non-exempt staff at Notre Dame.   If you had,  you would most certainly NOT have included Notre Dame on this list.   Notre Dame has the desire to be a premiere research University,  however has no desire to pay it's employees in the same manner.   It's pretty sad when a Catholic University with an annual endowment of over $6 Billion maintains a custodial staff with more than 3/4 of whom eligible for section 8 housing!   Supervisors repeatedly tell employees "if you don't like what's happening,  leave" rather than addressing problems or attempting to correct them.    The administration spends hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions on surveys,  studies,  and research in an attempt to convince the unhappy employees  that they are in fact happy employees.   I'm sure the management and administrators at Notre Dame are indeed happy and do indeed rate Notre Dame as a great place to work,  but that is because they receive all of the perks,  better benefits,  higher pay,  more vacation,  etc... and don't have to worry about being fired if the "punch in" one minute late.   Notre Dame pays it's custodians minimum wage to start then offers them discounted football tickets as a benefit.   That's all fine and good if someone earning minimum wage can afford the $700 CASH price of the tickets!   The same goes for education benefits.   Notre Dame offers a $1,500.00 per year education reimbursement benefit.  Who can afford $1,500 out of pocket up front of these type of wages?    Get your facts straight before you exalt an institution to lofty heights when it doesn't belong there!
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 1:17:50 PM »

Gippster...get a grip-ster.

We are simple denizens of an academic forum. This thread exists to discuss the poll. No one here created it. Your beef-ster is with the CHE.

Spread the word amongst your colleagues at Notre Dame.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 1:18:40 PM by southerntransplant » Logged

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
irhack
Marshwiggle

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 1:36:06 PM »

Of the institutions in my state, the one listed that I've worked at is the most soul-sucking environment imaginable. I still have a lot of friends there and they envy me greatly for having escaped. What nonsense.
brixton

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 3:00:08 PM »

To me it's just another one of those pretty meaningless lists to market colleges at a time in which deeper reflection on higher ed is needed.  How exactly does one measure the difficulty of tenure from one institution to the next?   What's the person comparing it to?  Since most people only go up for tenure once... maybe twice, it's like saying the USA is the best (or worst country in the world when you've been no where else.  I'm sort of disappointed in CHE for deciding to play these silly games, when there is plenty else to report on.
shamu

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 4:15:51 PM »

Looks like few surveys got stuck at the continental divide. Never thought much of these kinds of surveys, and based on some of the institutions I see on the list and a few that did not make it, I think the list is as useful as trying to predict where the stock market is headed.
mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 4:46:10 PM »

My institution showed up this year; we were encouraged to do the survey by the administration, and they're advertising our high scores in a couple of categories.  The revealing part of it is not that we showed up, but in which significant categories we did not rate highly.  I rather hope that the administration paid attention to that part.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
alleyoxenfree

Countin' all these posts as publications

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 11:53:19 PM »

It's pretty sad when a Catholic University with an annual endowment of over $6 Billion maintains a custodial staff with more than 3/4 of whom eligible for section 8 housing!   

While the other poster is right that those of us here having nothing to do with this poll - we're just talking about it - it's interesting to hear from those on the ground.

I've also worked for a premiere Catholic university, with much the same poor and dishonest treatment for everyone except tenured faculty and of course, administrators.
spinnaker

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 12:30:37 AM »

It's pretty sad when a Catholic University with an annual endowment of over $6 Billion maintains a custodial staff with more than 3/4 of whom eligible for section 8 housing!   

While the other poster is right that those of us here having nothing to do with this poll - we're just talking about it - it's interesting to hear from those on the ground.

I've also worked for a premiere Catholic university, with much the same poor and dishonest treatment for everyone except tenured faculty and of course, administrators.

I saw some value in that post too. And why single out the Catholics; non-liberal (ungenerous) treatment of many who among the lifeblood of an institution is something of a specialty of the self-identified mostly liberal academy. Ironies abound.

"I never agree with Spinnaker, but..."
bcohlan1

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 2:44:44 AM »

The only place I've been that scored (very) highly on this list is an absolute pit.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
alleyoxenfree

Countin' all these posts as publications

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 4:09:31 PM »

I saw some value in that post too. And why single out the Catholics; non-liberal (ungenerous) treatment of many who among the lifeblood of an institution is something of a specialty of the self-identified mostly liberal academy. Ironies abound.

The Catholics were not singled out - they were simply a connecting thread between the other poster's experience and mine.  But if we want to say why it was hypocritical, it didn't have to do with the religion per se, just with the religious mission of a university in general, in my case, especially one that gave great lip service to the ideal of justice.  But I have also worked at a place where the religion was a different one, and just as must oppression reigned.  Currently, I work with a much more liberal and secular crowd, self-identified as caring a great deal about others in particular ways, except that their treatment of the "little people" of the university is predictably bad.

So it goes.
spinnaker

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 5:30:04 PM »

The Catholics were not singled out - they were simply a connecting thread between the other poster's experience and mine.  But if we want to say why it was hypocritical, it didn't have to do with the religion per se, just with the religious mission of a university in general, in my case, especially one that gave great lip service to the ideal of justice.  But I have also worked at a place where the religion was a different one, and just as must oppression reigned.  Currently, I work with a much more liberal and secular crowd, self-identified as caring a great deal about others in particular ways, except that their treatment of the "little people" of the university is predictably bad.

So it goes.

No problem; we agree and I appreciate your comment, though adjuncts at four year colleges were not part of the survey, so I guess this is technically a hijack of the thread. Heartfelt apologies to all.

"I never agree with Spinnaker, but..."
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: