Obama's Hebrew?

(1/4) > >>

adjunctatlas:
What was the Hebrew phrase that Obama used?   When he said, "You are not alone," was he translating the phrase?  If not, what did it mean?  Is it a famous phrase? Or is it something Obama had an adviser translate for him, sort of an "ich bin Berliner" moment?  I'd like to have the Hebrew (transliterated, of course) and the meaning and its status so I can talk briefly to my students about this—it recalls a topic from our last meeting.  Thanks!

adjunctatlas:
It occurred to me that not everyone who knows Hebrew will have seen the speech and not everyone who has seen it will see this in time.  What he said was something like "atem lo lavat."  Hope that is close enough to give you a real hint.

bradypus_variegatus:
According to the transcript here, he said "Atem lo lavad": atem is a second-person plural pronoun, lo is 'not', and lavad is 'alone'.

It's been a few years since I studied Hebrew, so I couldn't tell you if it's correct or not; but the sentence is pretty simple, so I'd assume it is. (I remember learning about this word for 'alone', and there are some complications depending on whether it's being used adverbially, or something. But I've forgotten what they were.) Maybe someone who knows more will weigh in…

adjunctatlas:
Thanks, BV, for the link and the grammatical lesson.  I've put the phrase in a search engine, and it seems that it isn't quotation, and that's what I wanted to know. 

mouseman:
Atem lo levad/אתם לא לבד is indeed the correct way to tell a group of people that they are not alone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page