Assignment comes in an hour late. What to do?

(1/8) > >>

derrin:
A small assignment was due this morning in class (with the caveat that I would accept no late assignments) and a student e-mailed me one hour after class with the assignment that he "forgot" to submit before he left.  What is the best way to handle this?  The assignment is worth very little in points and I don't know him well enough to be able to tell whether he is being honest, although I typically figure that all excuses are fabrications. 

polly_mer:
That's a zero.  You were clear that the assignment was due in class with no late assignments.  If the assignment is worth basically nothing, then that's an even stronger argument for recording the zero.

proftowanda:
Yes, it's a zero.  (I.e., under circumstances described; there are other circumstances that can merit exceptions.)

However, you can provide feedback, so that the student receives something in return, in the form of feedback for improvement in work that will (I presume) count for far more points.  And, you tell the student just that, and that can suffice to assuage such students -- their work was read -- and to encourage them to be on time, next time.  

pigou:
Zero is justified. I'd probably give 50% of the earned points. An hour is presumably not long enough to do the entire homework and the penalty is probably greater than the additional points gained from spending an additional hour working on it.

Incentives to turn in on time remain properly aligned and you get to show how generous a professor you are, which may be beneficial when it comes time for student evaluations.

knob_creek:
Does this question really need to be asked? Teacher says no late assignments accepted. Student turns in assignment late.
Do you want a reputation as a bluffer? Do you want a reputation as a professor that can be manipulated?
By starting this thread you have already given this situation more of your energy than it deserves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page