• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 4:44:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 courses taught a semester?  (Read 3932 times)
histchick

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 5:24:18 PM »

We (full-time non TT) taught 18 credit hours in a previous semester, but only for that one semester.  For those of us already familiar with teaching online and hybrid courses, it seemed that the dept. chairs went out of their way to offer some of those rather than all F2F to reduce some of the burden.  My classes were maxed out pretty much all semester, and I thought the grading would never end...

mickeymantle
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 1:42:16 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  My department is dodging the bullet for now, because we teach "foundational" courses with a lot of enrollment (i.e., many required classes with 20 or more students.)  A few departments who enroll less than 20 students a class on average will not be so lucky, however.

I am now too distinguished a forum member.
histchick

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 4:29:20 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  My department is dodging the bullet for now, because we teach "foundational" courses with a lot of enrollment (i.e., many required classes with 20 or more students.)  A few departments who enroll less than 20 students a class on average will not be so lucky, however.

They're not talking about raising the caps for enrollment, are they?  Ours did, but we quite literally didn't have the space for more than 35 students in most classrooms.
gbrown

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 9:00:05 PM »

histchick, That's what my college tried to do--raise caps without consulting the faculty union. Man, the you-know-what really hit the fan! They pulled their heads back into their burrows, but I can see this coming up again next year.

My college CAN'T change the 5/5 load unless the faculty union agrees to a new contract, so we're safe for now. They do sometimes ask f/t faculty to teach an overload, but we can say "No." The usual crappy adjunct pay.

Good luck op!

"Oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will achieve total consciousness. So I got that going for me, which is nice." Caddyshack
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: