Expanding on essay length listed in syllabus

<< < (4/4)

ex_mo:
Quote from: baphd1996 on February 06, 2013,  9:39:25 AM

Quote from: fiona on February 06, 2013,  2:28:17 AM

Quote from: ex_mo on February 05, 2013,  3:45:05 PM

Quote from: tuxedo_cat on February 05, 2013, 12:12:54 PM

Quote from: ex_mo on February 05, 2013, 11:45:45 AM

I will never forget what my English Composition prof said in front of my freshman comp class.  He said, a good paper is like a skirt:  long enough to cover the subject but short enough to still be interesting.

It is gross and sexist but it is somehow just so perfect.  I sometimes will relate that notable quotable to students who stress about page limits.  I tell them I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather they write 4.5 solid awesome pages or extend an argument to the 8th page for a "5-7 page" paper than try to pad it or shorten it unnecessarily. 

So why are you still using it as an example?

Because it is memorable and fits the situation well.

Also, I'm a terrible person. 

Yes, you are a terrible person. Seriously, that kind of expression poisons a class environment. Male students may think you agree with their sexist ideas, and women students will think you see nothing wrong with giving the air of a hostile environment. You really should be creative enough, and committed enough to your teaching, to come up with an example that's not offensive. You owe that to your students.

The Fiona

Those little nuggets tend to stick in one's memory, but I've seen a colleague fired for it when a student complained.

Point taken.  Perhaps my sarcasm font was not installed properly. 

I think I've said it out loud one time and not to a whole class.  I won't do it again.  *hangs head and walks away*

trotskor:
Quote from: fiona on February 06, 2013,  2:28:17 AM

Quote from: ex_mo on February 05, 2013,  3:45:05 PM

Quote from: tuxedo_cat on February 05, 2013, 12:12:54 PM

Quote from: ex_mo on February 05, 2013, 11:45:45 AM

I will never forget what my English Composition prof said in front of my freshman comp class.  He said, a good paper is like a skirt:  long enough to cover the subject but short enough to still be interesting.

It is gross and sexist but it is somehow just so perfect.  I sometimes will relate that notable quotable to students who stress about page limits.  I tell them I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather they write 4.5 solid awesome pages or extend an argument to the 8th page for a "5-7 page" paper than try to pad it or shorten it unnecessarily. 

So why are you still using it as an example?

Because it is memorable and fits the situation well.

Also, I'm a terrible person. 

Yes, you are a terrible person. Seriously, that kind of expression poisons a class environment. Male students may think you agree with their sexist ideas, and women students will think you see nothing wrong with giving the air of a hostile environment. You really should be creative enough, and committed enough to your teaching, to come up with an example that's not offensive. You owe that to your students.

The Fiona

I agree that it's not the most appropriate thing to say in class, but I honestly don't think it makes you a terrible person. Maybe part of this is engaging with that photo that has gone around the internet of tick marks on that student's legs demonstrating what each length means (e.g. 'prude'). I had a (female) grade student when I was an undergrad in econ say to the class "Data are like bikinis: what they reveal can be interesting, but what they hide is much more fascinating." I think it's a pretty nifty quote, and she didn't feel uncomfortable sharing it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page