• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 2:38:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: end of academic year  (Read 5252 times)
arts4ever

« on: May 07, 2012, 9:05:08 PM »

Each year it is a bit worse--when the year is over, I feel as though recovering from a long illness. I have to start putting my life back together. Sleep--yes, but not the long hours that happen on weekend during the year. Eat well--oh yes, that! Add that in. Regular exercise--ditto. Then re-add prep for next year. Hopefully I don't ignore spouse totally during the year, but give him much more pride of place during summer. Do you folk share this take on it?
bioteacher
chocolate loving
Distinguished Senior Member

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 9:06:09 PM »

That all sounds about right to me. It matches up with my experience for sure.

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
pokemon

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 1:38:14 PM »

Yup. I can relate to this, unfortunately. But I won't let it happen again next year. It's just a job after all, so I can't let taking care of myself in terms of diet and exercise fall by the wayside.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 1:51:53 PM »

I enjoy the end of the year because, although I still have a huge amount of work to do regularly, I can take breaks and ride the bike whenever I want to or work at home wearing my jammies.  You know, since we aren't paid in the summer and all. Why not?

Love your neighbor.
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 4:13:41 AM »

I can relate to this topic. But isn't it relaxing knowing that you finally have the chance to go on a vacation?

What is this thing v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n?

crumpet

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 6:14:32 AM »

Yes, I can definitely relate. Sometimes I get angry that I put so much on hold during the year. On the other hand, very few of my friends outside of academe have several months of time during which they can schedule their time as they please. I love having the summer to write in my jammies, take a bit of time off when I'm sick, or take advantage of a sunny day.

That being said, I'm making it a priority not to have my life so taken over during the academic year. It makes me miserable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: