• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 10:32:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: blender for green smoothies?  (Read 37193 times)
galactic_hedgehog
Procrastinating, Python-quoting, Blue Blazer-drinking, chocolate-chip cookie-eating, Pastafarian, Not So
Distinguished Senior Member

Mind Ninja

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 10:57:01 PM »

We have a Braun that we love, but it doesn't seem to be made for the US  market any more, but there seem to be some on eBay.  (Our model has the glass pitcher.)

wannabeacademe

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 1:57:40 AM »

I know the price is ridiculous, but go for the Vitamix.  We use our all the time, and it does a great job with fruit and veggie smoothies.  Got mine at the Whole Foods Vitamix demo. $450 and came with the cookbook, some healthy lifestyle books, cutting board, spatulas and a 8 year warranty.
systeme_d_

No T, no shade. Usually.

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 2:15:53 AM »

Listen to Systeme_D. She is never wrong. 

Ha! Would that this were true! 

Happy VitaMix Mother's Day, Bookishone!

marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 8:41:57 AM »

Listen to Systeme_D. She is never wrong. 

How can I ignore so much good advice?

I'm sorry, thrillcheese; I think I have to go for the Cult Blender. (though in reconditioned format, which makes it quite a bit more affordable).

Now to go "make the case" to my fellow checking account owner, as we get joint buy-in for larger purchases. I think I can prevail upon him to agree, though, given that he loves both smoothies and soup, AND this splurge can also stand in for a pricey, overrated Mother's Day brunch somewhere. I've never been a big fan of eggs benedict anyway.

Make blender hollandaise! Then it's REALLY mother's day-ish.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
calikid

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »

I have a KitchenAid 5 speed blender, model #KSB560SM, purchased for ~$100 and going strong for two years with regular use.  I don't use ice in my green smoothies, if I did maybe it would have more problems.  I only put the frozen stuff in at the final stage, when the rest is already liquid, so it doesn't stress the blade quite so much?

[My method: fill with greens (favorites are spinach or kale, loaded up to the top), add liquid (water or coconut milk), blend on low. Add something soft (1 or 2 bananas), blend again. Then add frozen fruit (mango, pineapple, strawberry...), start blending on low and finish on liquify.  Et voila! Makes a giant batch]
anthroang

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 12:26:56 PM »

I've been having the same debate with myself about getting a Vitamix.

While I decide, though, I've been surprised at how well my Cuisinart stick blender handles greens. I avoid using ice, but make smoothies with frozen berries, bananas, spinach or chard with no problems.
lohai0

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 2:49:44 PM »

I've been having the same debate with myself about getting a Vitamix.

While I decide, though, I've been surprised at how well my Cuisinart stick blender handles greens. I avoid using ice, but make smoothies with frozen berries, bananas, spinach or chard with no problems.

I just made my first green smoothie with a stick blender. (Italian Parsley + Kale; Mango + Apple). I started with the greens in water and blended them. Then I added the mango and blended and finished with the apple. The texture is much better than I expected.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
relationalista

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 9:10:36 PM »

I also covet the VitaMix, but my fairly basic Cuisinart blender actually does an excellent job of green smoothies (and of soup too), which I make several times a week. Apparently the order in which the ingredients land in the machine can make a difference. I mostly remember to put the greens in first so that the heavier things weigh them down and they get properly blitzed. But I also don't really use much ice in there (even though I have an "ice crush" button for just such things; clearly I need to get my margarita game on) so can't fully speak to that capacity.
bookishone

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 11:11:52 PM »

Thanks for all your replies. Who would have guessed that there are so many green smoothie enthusiasts on the fora?

We do definitely like ice in our smoothies, and that is one of the main frustrations with our current Oster, which was about $40 at Snow's Hardware in Orleans, Mass one summer while we were on vacation. Fun memories, but not a great blender.

I'll be calling Vitamix tomorrow to make sure that the reconditioned ones use the new motor/design, and if so, ordering one. I'll let you know how it goes. We're a family that eats almost entirely only homemade food, and eating more and more vegetable-based meals, so I think we'll get good use out of it.

My tag line is false.
zarathustra
Because the Chron says I'm a

Procrastifabulous by nature.

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 3:08:24 PM »

I've become a green smoothie person.  Since I'm just making them for me, and want to be able to make and clean up quickly, I've come to love my Magic Bullet.  The advantage is can pop the ingredients into drinking/traveling container, and the blades are separate and super easy to rinse off.  The base of the blender is small too, so I can just leave it on my limited counter space without it annoying me. 

I don't know how powerful it needs to be to make your smoothies, but this manages frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, spinach and almond milk (my current favorite smoothie) just fine. 

The Squishiest!
bookishone

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 4:16:05 PM »

I've become a green smoothie person.  Since I'm just making them for me, and want to be able to make and clean up quickly, I've come to love my Magic Bullet.  The advantage is can pop the ingredients into drinking/traveling container, and the blades are separate and super easy to rinse off.  The base of the blender is small too, so I can just leave it on my limited counter space without it annoying me. 

I don't know how powerful it needs to be to make your smoothies, but this manages frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, spinach and almond milk (my current favorite smoothie) just fine. 

We like a pretty icy texture, but this sounds like a good blend (with ice!).

Do you use the unsweetened or the sweetened almond milk in your smoothie? I use the unsweetened in soups (it makes a terrific broccoli or cauliflower soup). My husband uses a dollop of the chocolate-flavored almond milk in his coffee, and my kids grab a box of this from the freezer in the morning for their lunch (the little shelf-stable boxes are actually cheaper than the lunch-style boxes of regular milk here), but it's too sweet for me.

My tag line is false.
punchnpie
Have a great rabbit!

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 7:34:33 PM »

During a conversation with my mother, she asked if she could make a smoothie in her food processor as she didn't have a blender anymore (do you stop needed to blend things when you are elderly?)

Anyway, it turns out she's never had a smoothie! I was shocked. No smoothie, no protein shake, no nothing. How does that happen?

So, I'm sending her a blender. She should probably be drinking a protein shake a day, anyway.

He's allergic to chocolate. I had to beat him.  -Tower Heist-
scatterbrain

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 8:44:41 PM »

Just chiming in to add that I make green smoothies (spinach, banana, protein powder, peanut butter, almond milk, ice) for breakfast most every morning. I have a Ninja Master Prep, and I loooooooove it. I think I spent around $50-60 for it at Target. It was such a worthwhile investment. I use it a lot for food prep (making soups, salsas, etc), and I really cannot stress how much I love it. Before that, I had a blender like the one you've described (a cheapo one that wouldn't chop ice). Such a step up! Good luck.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 8:45:50 PM by scatterbrain » Logged

And he's right about one thing: a uterus can hold up to twelve ounces of venom.  Mine sure did.
zarathustra
Because the Chron says I'm a

Procrastifabulous by nature.

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 9:47:18 PM »

We like a pretty icy texture, but this sounds like a good blend (with ice!).

Do you use the unsweetened or the sweetened almond milk in your smoothie? I use the unsweetened in soups (it makes a terrific broccoli or cauliflower soup). My husband uses a dollop of the chocolate-flavored almond milk in his coffee, and my kids grab a box of this from the freezer in the morning for their lunch (the little shelf-stable boxes are actually cheaper than the lunch-style boxes of regular milk here), but it's too sweet for me.

I use the unsweetened, and I don't even need to add honey anymore.  Goes great on my GrapeNuts, too.

I'll keep it in mind for future cream-based soups.  Sounds promising!  I did a white sauce once and I think it was OK.

The Squishiest!
thenewyorker

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 10:46:35 PM »

This has been a very informative thread. I never understood the Vita-Mix cult - but now not only do I understand, I may have been converted. We also eat almost 100% homemade, whole food. We also eat tons of greens. We don't usually drink smoothies (except for the occasional almond milk, banana, peanut butter and Droste chocolate powder - yum!), but this is another good way to get greens into littlenewyorker. He is a good eater of broccoli, kale, chard and collards, but more greens is always a good thing.

When You Snark You Can Really Love
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: