• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 2:17:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bard High School Early College experiences?  (Read 3581 times)
teatotalersock

« on: May 03, 2012, 4:29:35 PM »

I know that the lengthy discussion under "universities to fear" on the academic job search wiki makes Bard sound like Hell as overseen by Malcolm Tucker. Does anyone have any specific information about the Bard/NYC Department of Education high school/early college program in Queens, though, beyond what was posted on this thread?
birdy36

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 9:22:26 PM »

I worked in administration at BHSEC while I was in graduate school. I was at the (really inconvenient!) location on the Lower East Side, but they were opening the Queens location the year I was there so I also visited that location. Neither has very nice facilities (think run-down inner-city school), but I had little contact with the faculty so I really can't speak to the quality of the students and/or what teaching would be like aside from the superficial.
zarea

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 3:47:45 PM »

I interviewed with them in the past. Didn't get the job, I didn't try hard either as I was ambivalent about giving up on the job market. I'm at a tenure track now.  From the half day interview there, it looked very much like a SLACS environment except that these are high school students. I had to do a teaching demo. The faculty seemed really nice and genuinely interested in their job. I think they'll look at whether you truly want to work there instead of the job being a stop over until you get a tenure track. They work till 4:00 pm and teach everyday, with some flexibility: the very reason why I wasn't too interested in the job and failed the interview pretty much. 

The principal seemed nice, if it's the same person. can't remember his name. The Dean wasn't: she's the person who does the liaison between the high school and the College. She was downright rude and full of it: she'll throw in some invasive questions so be prepared. I googled her name afterwards, even her students had those exact same words to refer to her.

It is not conveniently located in NYC as a previous poster stated. I don't know about the salary but if you're interested in teaching good and involved students, and live in NYC then it is worth it in my opinion. The faculty will tell you that teaching there is so much more rewarding than at College and University level and in hindsight it is definitely true! I'm dealing with a particularly bad crop of students who think that they should just sit in the classroom and pass with a B or higher. And they come with an attitude. The only reason that teaching at a University is worth it for me at this point is because of the research and faculty collegiality, service. If that's not your priority, then BHSEC sounds like a much more rewarding job teaching wise: that is, if the students don't come with a chip on their shoulder
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: