• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:50:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Your favourite web-page builder (Mac)?  (Read 11908 times)
janewales
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: May 03, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »

I'm in the process of renovating the web pages I use for teaching. I've been building pages for a long time, and began writing very basic HTML without a WYSIWYG interface. Then for years I used Adobe's Page Mill on a PC, and then switched to Dreamweaver on a Mac. I've been through several versions of Dreamweaver, and I'm still using Dreamweaver 4, but it's pretty aged now, and I'm just not happy with the look of my pages any more. I'd like to try something new, and am looking for recommendations.

I don't like template-driven programs, because I'm fussy about designing things myself. My pages are very simple: just repositories for text, pictures, and links (so, no need for database behaviours etc). I do care a lot about the look of the typography: it's one of the chief sources of my dissatisfaction with my current pages. They were OK in 2007, but not now. It would be nice to work with a tool that would help me create iPad-readable versions of my pages too.

I would say that I'm a fairly competent user, but I feel like I've been increasingly left behind in keeping up with web authoring. So I guess I need a tool that will offer flexibility and advanced results, but have a manageable learning curve. Any recommendations for things to try on a Mac?
scampster

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:47 AM »

Gosh, this is timely for me. I was using a template based program the last couple of years (iWeb), but before used a WYSIWG type program where I built everything up. I got lots of compliments on my last webpage, but stupid Apple discontinued iWeb and I can't even get it for my new Mac, so that I can update those pages. So even though using a template was nice, I won't lock myself into a program again. (If anyone knows a work around for my iWeb problem, I'd love to hear it - I think I have to redo everything now.)

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
eigen

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 1:41:48 PM »

I'd like to hear it to, I'm currently building the ones I have using direct HTML code in a text editor, but it's quite time consuming.
egilson

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 1:51:31 PM »

Though Dreamweaver is really far too complicated for the simple pages I build, I find that it has useful features on which I depend, such as good site management, split code/design view, and easy access to the CSS from within the page on which I'm working. I also like being able to create and apply site templates. However, I haven't updated it (using CS5) because it is expensive even with my academic discount. If someone were to develop an open-source substitute for Dreamweaver in the same way that the GIMP can be substituted for Photoshop, I'd be on it in a second. Every other HTML editor I've tried (SeaMonkey and the other Mozilla-based editors, Amaya, PageSpinner) has been either too limited or too unstable for me to use.
drdata

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 2:02:43 PM »

If you are familiar with Dreamweaver or any WYSIWG editor, that can be a great way to develop web pages quickly.  You can always fine-tune the code in a text editor. Just make sure that you are using the latest (or at least a later) version of DW so that the HTML/CSS  that is generated is current. I know several "pros"  (people who actually make a living doing web sites) who use Dreamweaver exclusively.

My personal preference is using a text editor and doing it from scratch.  If you decide to do this, brush up on some basic CSS coding to control things like font, background, etc. Not hard, just takes patience and liberal use of cut and paste.

There are a number of text editors (freeware) for the Mac which will suggest options and catch html errors on the fly...all color coded. Just Google "Mac text editor freeware"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 2:06:01 PM by drdata » Logged
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 2:06:01 PM »

My website is horribly out of date.
This thread will be helpful.
Thanks for posting janewales

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 3:19:19 PM »

Personally, I'm going to use Squarespace when I get around to building it (this summer, probably.) It is a template-driven site, but it's very easy to customize on the back end if that's how you roll (and has VERY good design, I think.)

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 4:11:58 PM »

I have used seven different web-authoring tools, and I always return to Dreamweaver, in spite of how much the price increased when Adobe got ahold of it.

I like to be able to mess with the raw code, I hate templates except when I build them myself, and I like it to be a bit user-friendly.  My only recommendation is to stay away from iWeb, which is appalling.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
janewales

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 4:28:55 PM »

I have used seven different web-authoring tools, and I always return to Dreamweaver, in spite of how much the price increased when Adobe got ahold of it.

Sigh-- I was sort of afraid this might be the answer. So here's the next part of the question: I'm currently using CS3. As you note, mended_drum, DW is not a cheap program, but I'm now, what, 2 versions behind? Is there any reason to upgrade?
egilson

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 5:44:33 PM »

Sigh-- I was sort of afraid this might be the answer. So here's the next part of the question: I'm currently using CS3. As you note, mended_drum, DW is not a cheap program, but I'm now, what, 2 versions behind? Is there any reason to upgrade?

By my memory, I had to update from CS3 to CS5 (the newest version of Dreamweaver at the time) when I updated my OS to Snow Leopard (10.6.5) because of I couldn't get DW to open consistently. Also, the latest version of Dreamweaver will use the latest HTML and CSS standards.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 6:51:43 PM »

I'd like to hear it to, I'm currently building the ones I have using direct HTML code in a text editor, but it's quite time consuming.

This.  I use emacs and edit raw XHTML.  Tables are a bit putzy, but the code sure is pretty.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »

I've used a few over the years and switched to Dreamweaver some time ago. I never put the time in to really learn how to use it, however. So last year I switched to RapidWeaver.

I can code by hand but I wanted a program that would do all that behind-the-scenes work when I decided to alter something that affects the entire site. It will allow you to tweak the code and it's pretty simple to add css and JavaScript code.

It is theme-driven which is not what you wanted, but I'm mentioning it in case someone else is interested. While I can code, write JavaScript, and more, I'm not a designer. I also got tired of doing all that grunt-code by hand. RapidWeaver has quite a few themes to choose from and I'm happy with it.

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »

I've used a few over the years and switched to Dreamweaver some time ago. I never put the time in to really learn how to use it, however. So last year I switched to RapidWeaver.

I can code by hand but I wanted a program that would do all that behind-the-scenes work when I decided to alter something that affects the entire site. It will allow you to tweak the code and it's pretty simple to add css and JavaScript code.

It is theme-driven which is not what you wanted, but I'm mentioning it in case someone else is interested. While I can code, write JavaScript, and more, I'm not a designer. I also got tired of doing all that grunt-code by hand. RapidWeaver has quite a few themes to choose from and I'm happy with it.

Alan

I forgot I have that--I got it in a MacHeist bundle. You made me want to check it out!

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
eigen

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 5:35:21 PM »

So, bringing this back up- I'm currently using WinSCP and a text editor to update an organization's webpage. The code is... cumbersome, but I've been slowly reworking it.

But I'd like to find something I can use on my mac, instead of having to use one of the PCs at work.

What do you guys use for HTML coding/editing and SFTP file transfer? One of the nice things about WinSCP is I can edit the HTML directly and save to upload the file, which I can then preview to see if it's the way I want.

So something with either "real-time" uploading or a built in previewer would be great. It would also be nice to have something that recognized HTML (color coding) so I can see the structure a bit better, but that's not absolutely necessary.
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 5:42:10 PM »

I just use iWeb, because I already had it installed, but I have a friend who swears by Hype.  My Mac is too out of date to run it, but I was thinking about switching to Hype once I got my new computer.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: