• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 10:43:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: An Offensive Blog on CHE?  (Read 43729 times)
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a
Distinguished Senior Member

No recess.

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 9:11:18 PM »

One other point: What possible relevance could the writer's lack of a Ph.D. have? Address the aricle rather than the author. If a Harvard grad isn't qualified to even comment on the validity of a field from a journalistic standpoint, then the education system is even more incompetent than she believes. Also, I don't see any faculty members in fluff fields showing any reluctance to state an opinion on the business community despite never having started or in many cases even worked for one.

Remember how you said that you're "an academic when you wish to be"?

Now's good.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 9:11:54 PM by southerntransplant » Logged

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
gekko

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 9:12:00 PM »

lucero, I understand if you disagee with the article, but not quite sure why she shouldn't give specific examples. If she hadn't there would be complaints of generalization. I know in practice it's not relevant since no one will actually read a dissertation, although isn't there at least some presumption of a public document by virtue of filing at Michigan? What's the prob? The author might get his feelings hurt? Tough. Anyone nearing completion of graduate school is an adult who should be able to handle critique.
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 9:14:50 PM »

lucero, I understand if you disagee with the article, but not quite sure why she shouldn't give specific examples. If she hadn't there would be complaints of generalization. I know in practice it's not relevant since no one will actually read a dissertation, although isn't there at least some presumption of a public document by virtue of filing at Michigan? What's the prob? The author might get his feelings hurt? Tough. Anyone nearing completion of graduate school is an adult who should be able to handle critique.

The author did not read the dissertations, therefore she was making generalizations. The title of a dissertation is hardly the sum of it's content.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
canuckois
Thrower of Insults, Smearer of Characters, and a

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 9:22:00 PM »

Wow, this is absolutely great. I would only expand it to include nearly any field with the word studies.

To quote LarryC:

She doesn't know anything about the field but feels that she can dismiss it.

Gekko, you're a troll.  Moreover, you're neither a particularly well-informed nor particularly well-educated troll.  We all know this.  That you can post on this thread without the slightest intimation of irony is both revealing and sad. 

Trolling the CHE is the closest you will ever come to "academia," or anything even remotely academic, in spite of your pretensions.  I suspect that's why you do it.  I feel sorry for you, genuinely.  I would hate to be you.

Your opinions are welcome, of course, unless they suck, in which case the Fora will reward you with snark, if all goes well.
betterslac

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 10:12:35 PM »

I don't find the blog post offensive.  I find it racist, illogical, anti-intellectual, and clueless.

I wish we would stop calling such things offensive and call them what they are.

Yes, this, though the underlying racism is distasteful.

The most important problem with the article from an intellectual point of view is the fact the author blithely dismisses any work that does not support her normative viewpoint. That's what makes this ideological nonsense rather than a reasoned critique of scholarship. I don't buy the Sowell, et al. line of thinking, but if a conservative produces a piece of work that engages with their ideas in a new way, that has scholarly value to me (and to anyone that has scholarly rather than ideological goals foremost) even if the normative point of that work is not something with which I would agree. And to say that work on black midwives is without value is just absurd.
lucero

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 10:26:42 PM »

As others have said she didn't read the dissertations. She is using the titles of dissertations (and attached with that the names of the authors) to advance her prejudice when it reality she has no knowledge of what is actually in those dissertations. She also offers no evidence to why those "titles" are not worthwhile except for her own opinion. I also happen to think that black midwifery sounds like an interesting study! The problem is not someone getting their feelings hurt, but an unsupported argument and a lack of integrity  on the part of the blog author.

Guess what? If any of my students offered an argument based on only the titles of articles or books and it was obvious that they hadn't read them, they would FAIL the assignment or have to do it over.
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 10:37:02 PM »

This is a knock-out reply from the students.   Thanks for posting, busyslinky. 

http://chronicle.com/blogs/brainstorm/editors-note/46423

And the editor's note: "Please join the debate."  CHE is trolling.

Indeed.

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
tuxthepenguin

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »

The problem I have with calling this "debating the issues" is that it is implied that the person who writes a blog post for CHE actually has some knowledge of the topic and is qualified to lead a discussion on the topic. Letting others comment on the post is nonsense. It's not a debate. "Debating the issue" would mean you having the ignorant windbag give her perspective, and then someone with knowledge gets the opportunity to set the record straight, with at least as much space as the author, in the same font, and with the same marketing. Comments...sorry, not a debate.

The CHE loses credibility when it does something like this. This is a case of complete editorial incompetence.
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 12:34:22 AM »

Oh fiddlesticks this is a 1st ammendment censorship issue.

That's just silly. Of course this person could say whatever she liked on her own blog. I bet there are other blogs that say bad things about academia, dissertation titles, and black people.  What I find problematic is that this person purports to know about academia and clearly doesn't. The CHE claims this is a viewpoint that merits debate. It simply isn't. At least, the article, blog, whatever, is not worthy of debate with people of higher ed.

It seems so strange to see the CHE editor encourage debate about the article.
There is no debate here.  Just as I think it was in poor form or not within the bounds of academic protocol to call out graduate students I think it is unfair of the CHE to encourage those with informed views to pick on the clearly uninformed author.  It's unsportmanlike.

While many people have suggested that any discipline with "Studies" in the title should be dismantled and so spurred debate, this article does not really offer any arguments as to why one should dismantle Black Studies.

One commenter said conservatives would not feel right aligning with the author.

I suspect that the same is true of those who have legitimate arguments for getting rid of "Studies" disciplines.
None of the usual anti-studies folk have been supporting the article on this thread for example.  
In other words, this article being from such an ignorant author has shut down the debate of whether or not "Studies" disciplines should exist or not. Perhaps that was the real plan of the CHE.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 12:39:14 AM »

Oh,
Question:

Does she get paid for the blogs on the CHE?

This woman is considered a real journalist.
I am now very, very depressed.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 3:03:12 AM »

One other point: What possible relevance could the writer's lack of a Ph.D. have? Address the aricle rather than the author.

As long as you're asking this, what possible relevance could somebody's lack of an MD have on their medical opinion?  What possible relevance could somebody's lack of an engineering degree have on their opinion of how to build a bridge? 

In any case, there is no argument to address.  There is an array of unsupported statements, anti-intellectual blather, and racist rhetoric.

If a Harvard grad isn't qualified to even comment on the validity of a field from a journalistic standpoint, then the education system is even more incompetent than she believes.

Oooohhhh she's a HARVARD graduate  Wow, I'm so fvking impressed!  If you think that being accepted and finishing an undergrad degree at Harvard is an indication of anything but class and income, than your delusions have started getting the best of you.

Also, I don't see any faculty members in fluff fields showing any reluctance to state an opinion on the business community despite never having started or in many cases even worked for one.

Pray tell me, oh wise one, which fields do you designate, in you infinite wisdom, to be "fluff"?  Anything that you can't understand or that doesn't interest you?

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
busyslinky

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 6:14:22 AM »

http://chronicle.com/blogs/brainstorm/faculty-respond-to-riley-post-on-african-american-studies/46436

And the faculty get their turn.  Would this reaction have occurred if it were not CHE or another national media outlet?  Would it have occurred if it were just someone's personal blog?

In terms of freedom of speech, some people are unhappy that pressure is applied to curb this person's speech channel (CHE).  Yet, isn't this person arguing to curb the voice of thousands of people and a whole discipline?  Which is worse?

Such a wonderful toy!
dolljepopp
a "liberal neo-monarchist"

So 'ne Driss...

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 6:33:40 AM »

I would only expand it to include nearly any field with the word studies.

Can we get rid of all studies involving ignorant lizards first?

Quote from: johnr
God save us from old washed up trolls with too much time on their hands, an AM radio and a link to the internet.

'... and who among us does not love a zombie metaphor?' - Gail Collins
lucero

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 6:36:48 AM »

http://chronicle.com/blogs/brainstorm/faculty-respond-to-riley-post-on-african-american-studies/46436

And the faculty get their turn.  Would this reaction have occurred if it were not CHE or another national media outlet?  Would it have occurred if it were just someone's personal blog?

In terms of freedom of speech, some people are unhappy that pressure is applied to curb this person's speech channel (CHE).  Yet, isn't this person arguing to curb the voice of thousands of people and a whole discipline?  Which is worse?

I agree with your implication in theory that the blog post is worse in trying to destroy the voice of thousands of people and a whole discipline. Personally, I find her blog post so pathetic (albeit offensive) that I can't take it seriously, but can  understand the backlash. I have no sympathy whatsoever for her though. Those are her thoughts and she chose to put them out there in writing, in public. She now has to accept the consequences. As someone else said, and I paraphrase, "it's now public, and we assume that person is an adult, so TOUGH."
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 7:05:49 AM »

I replied to the original blog post and the blogger's blog post about the academic response to it.

Why is she a CHE blogger?

Love your neighbor.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: