• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 10:37:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Et tu Purdue?  (Read 8098 times)
the_walrus

« on: June 20, 2012, 7:17:35 AM »

Seriously?

http://chronicle.com/article/Purdue-May-Tap-Gov-Daniels-as/132411/

What's so sad about this, particularly in light of the UVA controversy, is that it seems that what Dragas et al are trying to pull off, Purdue may already have, and with virtually no national attention.  Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be true.
kaysixteen
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 3:19:05 PM »

It does seem to not pass the smell test, to have a guy who appointed several members of the existing board get appointed by that board to a plum position.  That said, exactly how much power over the *academic life* of a big state uni (let alone a small private slac) does a president have these days, anyhow?
busyslinky

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 3:57:08 PM »

Indiana Governor's Salary  ~$100,000  (95,000)

Purdue University President's Salary  ~$500,000 (431,000)

Difficulty level?  Governor > University President

Decision?  No-brainer.   

Issue?  Does Governor want to make money or be change agent at Purdue.  If it is about Money, no worries.  If it is to be a change agent, life will be hard on Governor. 

If I were advising the Governor, take the President's job and raise money and visibility for Purdue.  Don't mess with academic stuff, too messy.  Make your life easy and host parties.

Such a wonderful toy!
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 4:09:12 PM »

It does seem to not pass the smell test, to have a guy who appointed several members of the existing board get appointed by that board to a plum position.  That said, exactly how much power over the *academic life* of a big state uni (let alone a small private slac) does a president have these days, anyhow?

The president is the advocate for the university in front of the Regents. If a tuition increase will stave off financial catastrophe, it's the president who has to make that case. You may still be free to research what you want as an academic, but you had to decide whether or not you can do it in the face of deep pay cuts and/or furloughs because the president folded like a deck chair in front of the Board.

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 4:56:32 PM »

I would be very uneasy about this if I were in a department at Purdue. In particular, this guy's uncritical belief in online education as the panacea for pretty much all ills, and his commitment to cost-cutting as a good in and of itself are pretty scary.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
jonesey
All-Purpose Savage, Barroom Sociologist, and

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 5:38:33 PM »

Why are all of these top universities racing to the bottom?  Are the Koch brothers trying to buy everything?  (Well, of course they are).

More to the point: Why are universities hiring guys like this to run their institutions?

Jonesey, I know you're a being of sensitivity and refinement.

Hanging out at the home of leftist zealotry.
nebo113

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 5:40:46 PM »

I would be very uneasy about this if I were in a department at Purdue. In particular, this guy's uncritical belief in online education as the panacea for pretty much all ills, and his commitment to cost-cutting as a good in and of itself are pretty scary.

Apparently, it's the lure of the online that's sinking UVa. 
dale1
Eventually, if you hang around long enough, they'll make you a

My mother-in-law would point out God's gray hairs.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 4:18:47 PM »

Because the Boards come from industry, business, and other industries that view life in terms of definable products only. That is, how many widgets created and at what cost? They look for "leadership" as though the context of that leadership and the assumptions that come out of it are entirely irrelevant. My contention is that they are not. We'll see in the case of Gov. Daniels.

More to the point: Why are universities hiring guys like this to run their institutions?

Dale (original)
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 5:01:51 PM »

I'm also available.  My job at Columbia is ending.

~General Eisenhower

Taste o' the Sixties
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: