• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:39:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Master program without GRE requirement  (Read 27907 times)
latino2

« on: May 02, 2012, 8:01:07 PM »

What do you think about it?
Does it affect the quality of the program?
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 9:09:59 PM »

What are you asking?  If it's wise to have a Master's Program (and in what, exactly) that doesn't require students to submit GRE scores?

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
peppergal

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 9:23:44 PM »

Shouldn't this be on the Grad School Life board rather than the Non-Tenure Track board?

In addition, I second Tuxedo_Cat's questions.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 9:39:02 PM »

Not clear on the question either.

At my school we implemented a GRE requirement for our History MA about 6 years ago. Not a requirement for a minimum score, simply that you take the test. Enrollment immediately plummeted, to the point where the admin tried to eliminate the program. Students who we knew to be excellent undergraduates, easily capable of grad work, would tell us "I really wanted a History MA, but when I saw that GRE requirement..."

So we dropped the requirement, and there has been an instant explosion of interest in the program. I have no idea why the GRE scares folks so.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 9:46:36 PM »

We require the GRE and only waive for our own undergraduate students applying to our graduate program.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:29:27 PM »

OP, are you trying to get the fora to do your homework?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:29:49 PM by tinyzombie » Logged

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
anon99

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 7:32:21 AM »

Many universities do not require GREs, they exist outside the US and have good programs.
scampster

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 7:35:18 AM »

Many universities do not require GREs, they exist outside the US and have good programs.

But I don't think that was the question. I think the OP wants to know if not requiring the GRE is a sign of a weaker program.

I'm amazed at Larry's prospective students who aren't taking the GRE by default. Is it not a typical requirement of most grad programs in the US then?

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 8:09:10 AM »

They weren't required in my programs, and I don't believe either the Master's program (in Boston) or my doctoral program would be considered "weak".

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 9:25:58 AM »

I think part of our motivation may be to provide a uniform metric, particularly for foreign students for whom it is difficult to map grades to our scales (we have tables and Indian and Chinese faculty who help, but there is a large variance across schools).  It also seems to deter most of the for-profit undergrads from even applying to our CS and CoE degrees; I've had several ask me at industrial recruiting days if their UofPee or DeVry degree means the can waive the GRE.  I say no, and we never hear from them again.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 9:28:47 AM »

I think part of our motivation may be to provide a uniform metric, particularly for foreign students for whom it is difficult to map grades to our scales (we have tables and Indian and Chinese faculty who help, but there is a large variance across schools).  It also seems to deter most of the for-profit undergrads from even applying to our CS and CoE degrees; I've had several ask me at industrial recruiting days if their UofPee or DeVry degree means the can waive the GRE.  I say no, and we never hear from them again.

Perhaps too this is another "field specific" question? As in some fields need GRE's to establish a baseline, while other programs can do it via a writing sample/professional portfolio?

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
_touchedbyanoodle_
is not worthy of a moniker resurrection.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 9:35:32 AM »

My first master's program required that one take the GRE, but did not require a minimum score. Preparing to take the GRE, traveling to take it, and paying for it was consuming, stressful, and expensive, and I do not see the relationship between my ability to take that high stakes exam and my ability to succeed as a graduate student.

Then again, my cohort consisted of students who had been willing to jump through that hoop, which meant we were serious students.

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." -George Carlin
libwitch

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »

If there are other criteria in place instead of the GRE as replacement metrics; then probably not. 
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »

OP, are you trying to get the fora to do your homework?

I think TZ got it.

Larry, I too am surprised by the experience at your program.  Is it the only program to which most of the applicants apply, or do they apply to other schools as well?

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
latino2

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 4:36:13 PM »

I did not realize I posted my question here, but your comments help me a lot.  I would like to clarify that I was surprised by the fact that our new Master program in Foreign Languages decided not to include the GRE among the applicants’ requirements. I was wondering about a negative academic effect of the exclusion.  I see from your posts that it is not necessarily the case and that, as Larry says, there is a bad feeling about the test among undergraduates.  By the way, I see also the number of applicants is very high... and the acceptance as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: